We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety Concerns

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
78 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Safety Concerns

Hi,

We are planning on traveling to Omoa Bay in Honduras in the spring of 2014. We will be with a large group (around 20) of family and friends, kids and adults and plan on renting a villa on the beach.

I've been doing a little reading and would love some input into the safety of this area. Is this someplace we can go to and feel safe and comfortable? We have traveled quite a bit (just returned from a one week stay in an out of the way place near Arecibo, Puerto Rico and spent 5 weeks in Europe last summer) and we are perfectly comfortable in out of the way places, but some of the reports I've read have me concerned. I would hate to arrange this vacation and have our family and friends feeling unsafe. That's never relaxing.

Thanks for any input you can give!

5 replies to this topic
Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,794 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety Concerns

any particular reason for choosing omoa?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
78 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety Concerns

We choses Omoa Bay because there is a vacation villa there that can accommodate our large group.

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,794 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety Concerns

i have spent most of the last seven years in honduras and as hard as i try i just don't like the mainland coast. i keep visiting/exploring it because everyone says its gonna be the next big thing in real estate (tela, truilijo, omoa, la ceiba etc) but its just doesn't have that caribbean feeling/look. yes there are miles of empty beaches that look great from the window of a plane but up close the area feels dirty and rundown/low rent to me.

you may want to consider heading to utila or roatan instead, amazing blue water, coral reefs, pretty beaches, a great vibe and still a bargain in comparison to other caribbean islands.

if a friend of mine was looking for a place that could accommodate 20, on a beautiful private beach with great snorkeling and diving (which you won't find in omoa), kayaking to deserted islands, fishing and was very safe, i'd tell them to go to treasure beach on utila. there are three gorgeous rental homes on that beach: the coral house, the lavender house and the pineapple house, they are only 300-400' apart on the beach and between them they have 11 or 12 bedrooms and are absolutely delightful (i stayed in two of them at various times while my utila house was being built). i'm sure the owners would give you a good deal if you were renting all three houses.

just my opinion of course but as i said i've been exploring honduras for a pretty long time.

Edited: 26 March 2013, 16:49
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
78 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety Concerns

Thanks, divenuts. Omoa Bay is now out of the picture. Is Treasure Beach good for swimming, or just snorkeling? I looked at the properties you mentioned and the shoreline looks pretty rocky. We have a few kids in the group and their big thing is swimming in the ocean where the bottom is sandy. As for the women in the group, we want a sandy beach to relax on. Any insight you could give would be appreciated.

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,794 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety Concerns

there's no rock on treasure beach but the coral reef starts in very shallow water (waist deep), this means its not too good for paddling but most people swim from the ladder on the deck/dock which puts you into the water at a depth of about 7 feet, so you are over the reef. the water is very calm and their is virtually no wave action because of the all the coral reefs but the sand on the beach is rather course as its made of ground coral. most visitors i see sunbathe and swim from the deck that sticks out into the water. hope this helps.

Reply to: Safety Concerns
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Omoa