We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palazzo Catalini

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
Palazzo Catalini

Hi!!! We were here 6 yrs ago for our wedding/honeymoon! Now, we are back! Any advice on things to do, places to see??

Thanks!!!!

6 replies to this topic
Montelparo, Italy
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
470 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Palazzo Catalini

Hire a car and head to Villa Lante at Bagnaia, Viterbo downtown and the Terme dei Papi for hot thermal springs.

Tuscania and Tarquinia for Etruscan archeological museums and remains. Have a stop in Bolsena and check if there are boat connections to the islands.

Orte Underground is a new tourist itinerary

Mentioned in this post
Viterbo
Viterbo
Province of Viterbo, Italy
Tuscania
Tuscania
Tarquinia
Tarquinia
Bolsena
Bolsena
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Palazzo Catalini

Thanks for the response! They sound great! Any way this can be done without a car?

Montelparo, Italy
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
470 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Palazzo Catalini

MMMHHH, I wouldn' try it as this way would cut a lot of your time.

Soriano nel Cimino...
Level Contributor
25 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Palazzo Catalini

For anyone coming to Soriano, I strongly advise against attempting to tour the area without a car. While it CAN be done by train and bus, you will waste a tremendous amount of time, and you will be a slave to difficult scheduling. This is a very easy area to navigate by car.

Highworth, United...
Level Contributor
619 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Palazzo Catalini

We are planning to visit central Rome for two nights before staying at Palazzo Catalini for 3 or 4 nights at the end of June to celebrate 20th anniv and 50th birthday.

When I asked my travel agent she advised not to drive in Rome if we didn't want to up our stress levels! She did mention you can use the train to get out of the city, then rent a car on the outskirts. Where would that be anybody? We would like to have a relaxed break (child-free breaks are a great luxury!) but also want to see a couple of the local towns/villages while we're there. We were wondering if it would be more relaxing and no more expensive to go by taxi if the buses don't run over the weekend we're there?

Any thoughts welcome.

Many thanks, Sarah

Soriano nel Cimino...
Level Contributor
25 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Palazzo Catalini

I know I am replying to an old message, but it appears you are not going until this coming June.

Be careful about taking advice from travel agents, please. Get advice from locals whenever you can, because travel agents often get their information from unreliable sources. That said, a local's answer to your last comment:

Your agent is correct about the advice for driving in Rome. Besides the chaos, you will spend most of your time getting lost and trying to find parking. A car is not needed in Rome.

HOWEVER, the advice about taking a train and going to the outskirts to rent a car is BAD, BAD ADVICE. While you will find some rental agencies in the smaller towns, they usually DON'T HAVE CARS. You often find yourself going through a great deal of trouble finding them, and doing LOTS of waiting. They will usually not speak English. Trust me, BAD IDEA.

However, here is the easiest thing to do if you want a car on some days:

Get to the train station (Roma Termini), and take the Leonardo Express to the airport. 30 minutes. When you get off the train at the airport, you will be very close to the car rental area, which will be impossible not to find.

There, you will find a large selection of cars. They will speak English, and since the airport is not in the city, as you leave the airport, you will be on the freeway system, allowing you to much more easily navigate.

A second option would be to rent your car at a place called "Villa Borghese". This is in the city, very close to Via Veneto. There are several rental companies there, and they ALSO always have cars and will speak English. However, you will be fighting city chaos getting out of the city, and trying to find it again getting back in.

NOTE: Since you are coming to Soriano, I STRONGLY advise you to have a car in Soriano. While there is public transportation, it is very limited, and you will certainly wish you had a car while there.

Edited: 28 April 2014, 13:47
Reply to: Palazzo Catalini
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Soriano nel Cimino