We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hohenschwangau to Linderhof to Innsbruck by bus

Ashton, Idaho
Level Contributor
64 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Hohenschwangau to Linderhof to Innsbruck by bus

Hi: I have two days or really just a portion of 2 days. Day 1: I am planning to spend the night in Hohenschwangau and view castles early the next morning. I was then hoping to visit the Linderhof either later that afternoon or maybe more realistically on Day 2 in the morning. On day 2, I need to be in Innsbruck at 2:00 pm to take a bus south. I realize the travel is a bit difficult but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to where I should stay after leaving Hohenschwangau. I was thinking maybe it would be best to stay in Oberammergau or Ettal to make the Linderhof more easily accessible if I were to visit the morning of Day 2. Since I am relying on public transport, I would like to be a location that would allow me to get to Innsbruck without much trouble. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you in advance

2 replies to this topic
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,921 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hohenschwangau to Linderhof to Innsbruck by bus

You connection options will depend on the weekday. I think Linderhof late afternoon (e.g. Hohenschwangau dep 12:53 Linderhof arr 15:05) is more realistic than early morning. If you do Linderhof late afternoon you could proceed Garmsich-Partenkirchen or Mittenwald to stay overnight. Mittenwald is nice and this would be ticket wise the cheapest option. Bayern Ticket (EUR 23,00) for day 1 and VVT ticket Mittenwald to Innsbruck on day 2 (EUR 10,00).

bahn.de/i/…bavaria-ticket.shtml

www.alpenwelt-karwendel.de/en/mittenwald

www.vvt.at/page.cfm…

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Start: Hohenschwangau, Schwangau (Schlösser)

Destination: Linderhof Schloß, Ettal

Destination: Garmisch-Partenkirchen

Destination: Mittenwald

Destination: Innsbruck Hbf

Ashton, Idaho
Level Contributor
64 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hohenschwangau to Linderhof to Innsbruck by bus

Abalada:

Thank you for the detailed information. After further study and timetable review, I too was thinking about your suggestion. My only concern is what to do with our luggage when arriving at Linderhof. And yes, I would prefer to stay in either Mittenwald or GP. Do you have a hotel you favor in Mittenwald close to station?

Reply to: Hohenschwangau to Linderhof to Innsbruck by bus
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Linderhof