We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winging It In Bacalar

Which Bacalar hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Winging It In Bacalar

Can anyone advise if we can find a place to stay (semi-budget, Hotel Bacalar?)w/o reservations in late November? We may arrive on a Friday, and I understand the Mexican's frequent the area during the weekends.

Also, aren't there alligators, crocs, whatever..in the lake? Anything else that may want to snack on us? We love to kayak and snorkel.

If we drive from Tulum, will we run into any road problems if there's a storm? How about checkpoints and policia tricks?

Last gas stop?

Last, but I'm sure not least, any places we want to stop along the way that are "out of the way" or "different"?

Thanks. We've been wanting to do this trip for awhile now!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,660 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winging It In Bacalar

Not sure about problems with last minute accomodation in Bacalar but I would think you can find something in November. I stay in a friends house so dont know too much about the hotel situation.

No problems with alligators , crocs or other man eating critters there.

No road problems. Good but boring drive. Some checkpoints but I have never had any problem with police anywhere in Mexico.

Probably should gas up at Carrillo Puerto. Belive the next Pemex stop is Bacalar.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winging It In Bacalar

We spent a couple weeks at Lake Bacalar and loved every minute of it. We rented a nice place on the lake but would often drive up the road to the Hotel and have drinks, dinner and use the internet. This was in December and the hotel never looked full at all. The views are amazing and the staff was very friendly but be prepared to speak spanish or else you will be doing the sherade thing. My husband is great at it! We also saw a couple B&B type places. A couple years ago there was a resturant in town on the corner ( french cafe style) and the guy that owned it was a wealth of information, you could stop and see what he recommends. Have fun

3. Re: Winging It In Bacalar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 12:22
Get answers to your questions about Bacalar