We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight to Lukla

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Flight to Lukla

Hello, I was originally going to do ABC but have changed my mind and want to do Gokyo RI. I am arriving nepal on the 24th of Oct 2013 and leaving Nov 14th 2013. I am 27...Questions:

1) How quick will I get a flight to Lukla from Kathmandu at this time of year on arrival..I arrive the night of the 24th. Would I be able to get a flight for the next day there and then? Also for the flight back?

2) Do you arrange all the permits in Lukla?

3) How many days to allow for the gokyo ri trek from lukla and back??

4) Is my time frame enough to do this?

Thanks a lot

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,261 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight to Lukla

many flights to lukla - but book early - since it will be a peak trekking season - you can do so by working with an agency in KTM in advance. they will book it for you - you can pay them when you reach nepal - buy RT - leave some buffer days in Lukla if the planes can't land due to fog - you can get TIMS and Nat'l Park Permit both in KTM. but can be arranged for both once you get to Lukla too. the trek itslef - i would allow about 14 days. Good Luck

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
10,120 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight to Lukla

Hi Dan

1) Given it is peak season, it is unlikely you will get a flight for the next day so, if on a tight time scale try and book before you arrive in Nepal. This also gives you the opportunity to get a seat on the first flight of the day which have the best chance of flying - delays and cancellations are possible even at this time of year.

There are different ways of booking in advance:

An agent might reserve the flight without payment but difficult in your circumstances: agents can 'reserve' the seat without financial commitment until a couple of days (I think) before the flight. Within 24 hours they are financially committerd so will want to avoid the consequences of a 'no show'. It is more likely if you have a previous relationship with an agent but because you are asking this, I assume you don't.

Paying for the flight gets round this problem and there are a couple of ways of doing this; some airlines will have an online/email booking system but the payment system is not secure and there are reports of attempted bookings failing. Alternatively, book through an travel or trekking agent. To prevent the card details being harvested by fraudsters send the card details over a couple of emails. Some agents ask for a scanned copies of thecard, I would be reluctant to do this but it depends on your attitude to risk.

Two suggestions for the return flight: estimate the return date, phone the airline if you need to change the date or book an open return and book the flight when you know you will need it. I suggest the former in high season.

2) The permits cannot be arranged in Lukla.

They can be obtained at the park entrance. The park ticket is 3000 rupees and the TIMS card is $20 (payable in rupees at that day's exchange rate). There is no official information (that I can find) confirming TIMS is available there but last spring the official said it was. There have been a number of reports from people confirming they obtained a FIT TIMS there.

3) I have trekked to Gokyo but not by the route you will be taking. The key is not to breach AMS guidelines on the way up and trek back quickly - many standard itineraries seem to be quite conservative. 10 days should be enough; 7 up including 2 acclimatisation days (extra nights at Namche and Macchermo for example) with 3 days to get from Gokyo to Lukla. 1 or 2 days exploring beyond Gokyo is worthwhile. There is a Gokyo/EBC itinerary on the top right of the page.

4) You do seem to have enough time but you are right to try and head out on the trek as soon as possible because of potential delays to the flights to and from Lukla.

Good luck.

scoodly

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight to Lukla

Hi thanks for the replies...Scoodly did u mean the permits can or cannot be obtained in Lukla??? Also how long will it take me to get on a flight, if not the nxt day, without pre booking?? My plan is to just be at the airport and book the flight there when i arrive for as soon as possible?? Would I have to wait longer than 2 days doing this??? I really dont fancy booking in advance as I dont trust doing this!!

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
10,120 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight to Lukla

Hi

I meant TIMS and ACAP cannot be arranged in Lukla. They can be obtained at the park gate which is between Monjo and Jorsale. See this map:

…umbra.cz/img/map/Khumbu_Sagarmatha_National…

It's hard to say how long it will take to get a flight: maybe 2 or 3 days, maybe the same day as you turn up at the domestic terminal. I have no tried this, maybe somebody who has will post their experience, If there has been a day or two ofcancellations, those who already have tickets will get priority. This is another reason to pre-book but I ynderstand your concern about this.

I hope it works out for you.

scoodly

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight to Lukla

Cheers, I am looking at booking with Outfitter Nepal ive heard good things and will save me the stress.

Thanks

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,447 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flight to Lukla

## Post No 4 - Scoodly

The permit for Everest is not called ACAP. ACAP means Annapurna Conservation Area Project which is in Annapurna Region. You will need Everest National Park Permit but not ACAP permit to visit in Everest Region.

Good Luck!

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
80 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flight to Lukla

Useful information are already posted by experts. It is hard to get Lukla flight in same day or one or two day. Sometime we even waited for a week. its a rare case. Its better for you to confirm your arrival in Kathmandu and ask travel agency to make your ticket in advance. Booking ticket means holding for a day. To confirm ticket, the agency should issue it by paying full fare. You can send that much amount by wire to the travel agency who will make your ticket to Lukla. I dont think the agency will run away with your few dolor!

TIMS can be obtain in Kathmandu at Nepal Tourism Board office which is $20 for individual trekkers and $10 for going through trekking agency. Entrance fee for Everest National Park is NRs 3000 (about $ 35). Its convenient to make TIMS and pay entrance fee at Kathmandu but both you can do at the entrance gate of National Park, near by monjo - a day hike from Lukla.

All the best!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,261 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flight to Lukla

yes i could have been more specific that tims and nat'l park permit can be obtained past monjo instead of saying "can be arranged in Lukla" - by that i meant if you flew to Lukla without it - most guide and lodge onwers would tell you how and where to get it.

and something about the return flight from Lukla - if the weather is good and you are flying out on your designated date per your pre booked ticket then all's fair and good. but if you are delayed ,or if flight is dealyed due to weather, or if you want to depart early, or plan to buy a return ticket from Lukla only - the people who decide who flies when is completely in the hands of few powerful lodge owners there and the airline staff - as it turns out. there is no first come first serve basis there.

9. Re: Flight to Lukla

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 August 2013, 13:35
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
150 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flight to Lukla

hi this is an interesting post - me and 2 other friends are leaving for KTM on 13th apr for the EBC trek

dan w - are you done with the trek - pls share your experience - as of now we only have one way ticket to KTM from new delhi and we plan to organize everything once there in thamel

can you recommend some agencies / porter - do we book the porter from KTM or they can be found in lukla as well - im told on the flight to lukla sitting on a certain side has the best view - is this the left or the right of the plane ?

everest B - what is o/n as mentioned in your comment

thanks everyone