We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clothing Rules for Men on EBC Trek

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Clothing Rules for Men on EBC Trek

Hello,

I am going to be starting my trek to EBC on May 24th 2014. From what I have read, the weather is usually warmer (Compared to other times of the year), so lighter clothing is recommended.

Is there any clothing requirements for men when on the trek? Or could I get away with hiking in something like gym shorts and a sleeveless tank top (Something like a sleeveless running singlet) during the day? That way the material is light weight and can be easily washed at night and be ready to use again quickly. I'd prefer to avoid being drenched in sweat from hiking in bulky clothes all day.

Thanks in advance!

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clothing Rules for Men on EBC Trek

Shorts, preferably mid-thigh or just above the knee would be ok, but a t-shirt would be better than a vest. People won't openly criticise you for what you wear, but if you offend the local norms they'll show little respect for you.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
2,300 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clothing Rules for Men on EBC Trek

Lower places won't need any warm cloths, walk with shorts. Once you get higher long sleeves will be needed, pants or warm trousers will be needed as well. I have seen people walking in running or cycling cloths on treks as well.

Espoo
Level Contributor
2,229 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Clothing Rules for Men on EBC Trek

Avoid tight shorts and tank tops. Generally speaking shorts are low caste, but people have gotten used to seeing them on trekkers. Going shirtless is a no-no. That said I have hiked in mid-thigh shorts and sports tank top, lower elevations can be so darn hot!

Surrey.
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Clothing Rules for Men on EBC Trek

Keep in mind also that if there is little cloud cover, then the sun is VERY strong as you get higher up, and you will want to be covered up for this reason also. Having said that, if my experience of trekking in Gokyo in late May 2008 is representative, there could well be a lot of cloud, and hence some risk of rain lower down and snow higher up. Late May is heading into the monsoon season, the wettest time of year in Nepal.

So do be prepared for mixed conditions. It should be much less cold at night, even high up, at least compared with the winter. In 2008, in 5 nights at Gokyo and 1 night at Tagnag (both at about 4,800m), I used my sleeping bag as a loose duvet, and barely wore my down jacket at night.

Espoo
Level Contributor
2,229 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Clothing Rules for Men on EBC Trek

Yeah, late May... Could be rainy. In 2009 we walked out to Shivalaya at that time, foggy, rainy and cloudy all the time. At the same time warm enough not to wear a shell jacket, even the best breathing PacLite variety, just get wet and dry stuff out in the evenings, at least some of the water. Above Namche the skies tend to be more clear, though.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
6,719 posts
358 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Clothing Rules for Men on EBC Trek

After 40 years of trekking, Nepalis are well used to Westerners in all types of clothing, including women with minimal clothing.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Clothing Rules for Men on EBC Trek

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Espoo
Level Contributor
2,229 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Clothing Rules for Men on EBC Trek

Re #6: "Used to" is not the same as acceptable.

9. Re: Clothing Rules for Men on EBC Trek

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2016, 20:18
Get answers to your questions about Lukla