We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Doubtfulsoundcruise.com Question

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Doubtfulsoundcruise.com Question

I was impressed with smaller boat size on this site for day-long cruise. I looked up reviews and reviewers talked about Fiordland Expeditions and Real Journeys, neither of which is mentioned on this Web site. Can anyone sort through my confusion? Are these three distinct companies or is it one company with three brand names? Which outfitter would you recommend?

8 replies to this topic
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,442 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Doubtfulsoundcruise.com Question

Welcome to the forum :)

They are three distinct companies.

Doubtful Sound cruise operates a day cruise only it seems, Fiordland Expeditions does an overnight cruise, Real Journeys does both.

With Real Journeys I have done - Te Anau glow worm caves, TSS Earnslaw, Milford Sound day cruise and Doubtful Sound overnight cruise (see my review)- all excellent.

With Fiordland Expeditions I have done Doubtful overnight and it was wonderful - sadly my review, along with many others, was deleted as for some odd reason TA does not list overnight tours. We went fishing and caught loads of fish, the guys dived for lobster which we ate.

Which is best? All? - neither? Each is unique in it's own way - I doubt you will be disappointed no matter who you go with.

Enjoy :)

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,465 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Doubtfulsoundcruise.com Question

Just an FYI that we looked into Doubtfulsound.com on our visit last month, and they're seasonal - they don't operate from May 1 - Sept 1. As far as I know, the others operate year round (we ended up on Real Journeys).

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Doubtfulsoundcruise.com Question

Thanks for feedback. We will be in NZ in February. Doubtful Sound Cruise seems to have smaller boats, 40 and 21-passenger, and a slightly longer day cruise (our preference) than others. I also found Mitre Peak Cruises but have not been able to access its web site.

We are staying in Te Anau 4 days and want to visit Doubtful Sound, Milford Sound, Glowworm Caves and hike Kepler Track.

Any other experiences with area cruise operators would be much appreciated.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,442 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Doubtfulsoundcruise.com Question

The website works perfectly well for me http://www.mitrepeak.com/

France
Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Doubtfulsoundcruise.com Question

Can anyone tell me what time the overnight cruise from Manapouri/Doubtful Sounds returns please?

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,442 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Doubtfulsoundcruise.com Question

Return time depends on which company and what time of the year you cruise. It can vary from 12noon to about 5.30pm.

You will need to read the website for the cruise company you plan to use to see which applies to you :)

7. Re: Doubtfulsoundcruise.com Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 December 2013, 02:35

8. Re: Doubtfulsoundcruise.com Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 December 2013, 02:35

Reply to: Doubtfulsoundcruise.com Question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Manapouri
More Manapouri Topics