We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Doubtful Sound Overnight Cruise

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
54 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Doubtful Sound Overnight Cruise

Subject: Doubtful Sound Cruise

Location: Manapouri, South Island, New Zealand, South Pacific

Title: Deep Cove Charters, Over Night Cruise

ID#: 155837197

For some reason I couldn't post this in the reviews since it was an overnight trip. But I wanted to share the highlight of our New Zealand trip with Deep Cove Charters and the Sea Finn.

We first booked on Fiordland Cruise but their boat had problems and they arranged for us to be booked on Deep Cove. What luck! We had one of the last cabins and shared the cruise with 10 other interesting and friendly people. The skipper Chris and his son Travis really worked to make our experience memorable. This Cruise is not like the larger Real Journey cruise. This was all about experiences (wildlife viewing, waterfalls, fishing!, Kayaking, a real adventure!) Some of you want a ensuite room, big ship type of cruise, go to Real Journeys. You others that want a smaller ship, able to go in and out of tight spots, go fishing, pull crayfish pots, cruise around, kayak, go with Deep Cove. One thing you will miss is the tour of the hydropower station. But there isn't enough time with Deep Cove and we didn't miss it. Oh, and the lunch and dinner was very nice, crayfish (lobster), venison, fresh caught fish, just bring your own bottle.

11 replies to this topic
California
Level Contributor
7,507 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Doubtful Sound Overnight Cruise

I think all the Doubtful Sound cruises are dumped in one category in attractions for Manapouri. I see ones for the day cruises and overnight, with both companies, reported there. I think that is the appropriate place for this but I'm sure someone will search for info on the forums and your post will be helpful.

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Edited: 27 April 2013, 23:36
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,316 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Doubtful Sound Overnight Cruise

Yes, for some odd reason TA doesn't allow listings for overnight trips - so reviews for all the overnight cruises are lumped togther under Doubtful Sound.

So pleased you enjoyed your trip Wekims. I have overnighted with Fiordland Expeditions and with Real Journeys and while the trips were quite different I would be hard pressed to say one is better thn the other.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,357 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Doubtful Sound Overnight Cruise

I agree Wanakalakes. Done both and both great, but couldnt say if one was better than the other. Just both different experiences.

Te Anau
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Doubtful Sound Overnight Cruise

Yes it is quite frustrating I am sure but it is a TripAdvisor policy!!! An overnight cruise cannot be listed as an activity so therefore the overnight activity operators cannot list on TripAdvisor! Crazy I know, as this is the only website in the world that will not accept an overnight cruise as an activity but there you have it.

Edited: 08 October 2013, 22:40
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
320 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Doubtful Sound Overnight Cruise

I am really confused now.

I was under the impression that the only tour company that offers overnight Doubtful Sound visits was Real Journeys. Am I wrong and how do I contact the others ?

Another question. Are the cruises available in late May ?

California
Level Contributor
7,507 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Doubtful Sound Overnight Cruise

fiordlandexpeditions.co.nz/overnight-cruise/

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,357 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Doubtful Sound Overnight Cruise

Deep cove charters, fiordland expeditions and Real journeys are the ones that immediately spring to mind. our last trip with fiordland expeditions could have been much better. I think the crew were uninterested and jaded. Showers ran out of water, toilets out of action, our cabin leaked and we got wet beds. But it is a place not to miss. Check out with each company directly to see if they have availability in May

Boston
Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Doubtful Sound Overnight Cruise

Can you please share details on the differences between Fiordland Expeditions and Real Journeys?

I have the overnight booked on RealJourneys and I'm glad they have a room for 2, where on Expeditions we'd have to share with other people for the same price range.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,357 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Doubtful Sound Overnight Cruise

I have been on both. Real journeys is a bigger boat with up to 70 people - but there is much more space and lounges and outdoor areas so you never felt crammed. Food and staff were fantastic. A very well run ship. Great kayaking or zodiac cruising.

Fiordland expeditions was a much smaller boat but we were very crammed in - couldnt all fit around the table, had one shower and one toilet (and it broke down), we were in the bunkhouse on the top and it leaked when it rained, my bed got soaked. No lounge space or outdoor shelter in the rain.. Ran out of water so had to go to blanket bay at first light. Kayaking, fishing and crayfishing on offer.

I did prefer the real journeys trip as we werent crammed in. But if the fiordland expeditions had less people and ran a more efficient operation it would have been great,

Boston
Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Doubtful Sound Overnight Cruise

Thank you.

I'm happy with my choice of the bigger boat. I also peaked at deep cove and that didn't sway me.

Our overnight is nov 20. We fly into Queenstown on November 18. My son was just in area so we are thinking of staying in te anau or manapouri for the 18th and 19th. Suggestions for where to stay and what else to do? My son is actually interested in doing the Milford sound day cruise also. Great half day hikes?

When we get off the boat on the 21st, I think we will go stay in/near Queenstown for two nights. Suggestions there?

Reply to: Doubtful Sound Overnight Cruise
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Manapouri
More Manapouri Topics