We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Everest Base Camp Trek with Gokyo Ri and Chukhung Ri

Dhaka City...
Level Contributor
112 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Everest Base Camp Trek with Gokyo Ri and Chukhung Ri

Hello, I am planning for Everest Base Camp trek along with ‘Gokyo Ri’ and ‘Chukkhung Ri’ in early September. I know early September is considered as the ending part of monsoon, but I have no other ways. I will be an independent trekker; I won't take any guide or porter. If there is anybody else who’s also planning for the same time [independently], I will love to join. I’m sharing my full itinerary, and I will appreciate everyone’s suggestions about it !!

Day 1 : Bangladesh to Kathmandu, book a flight for Lukla and rent few things.

Day 2 : Kathmandu to Lukla. Trek to Phakding.

Day 3 : Trek to Namche, explore around.

Day 4 : Namche, Phortse Thanga, Dhole.

Day 5 : Dhole, Gokyo, Gokyo Ri, Gokyo.

Day 6 : Gokyo to Phortse.

Day 7 : Phortse to Pangboche to Dingboche.

Day 8 : Dingboche to Chukhung to Chukhung Ri, back to Dingboche.

Day 9 : Dingboche to Dughla to Lobuche.

Day 10 : Lobuche to Gorakshep to Basecamp to Gorakshep.

Day 11 : Gorakshep to Kalapatar to Dughla to Pheric.

Day 12 : Pheric to Pengboche to Tengboche to Khumjung to Namche.

Day 13 : Namche to Lukla.

Day 14 : Fly back to Kathmandu.

Day 15 : Fly back to Bangladesh.

I have some questions about the Golyo to Dzonghla part :

1. Is it possible to reach Dzonghla in one day, if I start from 7am?

2. Will it be safe to trek this part alone, in the 2nd week of September?

3. Can I hire someone from Gokyo, to help me to cross that part till Dzonghla? How much it may cost if I hire someone? [just an approximate idea about the costings!!]

I may need to add 3 more days on the itinerary to take the Jiri way, if the flights are not available from Kathmandu to Lukla in early September !!

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,447 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Everest Base Camp Trek with Gokyo Ri and Chukhung Ri

Depends on how experienced hiker you are, you might need to add acclimatization days on your program. If you are high altitude experienced and don't want to take rest days it is different case otherwise just add 1 or 2 acclimatization days. I think you are ascending too fast.

Personal suggestion: Even if you are experienced then add at least an acclimatization day on your plan.

People do Namche to Gokyo in 3 or 4 days but you are doing in 2 days. No rest days either in Namche or in Gokyo. Rethink about it.......

1, People in Thaknak starts around 4AM / 5AM, I did my same too. It is mainly to avoid the strong wind in the pass and stone falling from the cliffs. So, you must rethink about it. A night in Thaknak is important.

2, I do not think if you are alone you have to trek on this side. Cho La Pass is getting dangerous every year due to ice lake on the top of the pass. The stone falls on the trails around the pass quite often. Starting from Gokyo is definitely not recommended in my opinion. Find a companion!

3, I think it will be difficult to hire someone from Gokyo. It is small town but you can ask around. There are small tea shops in Gokyo and probably you can ask them too. Not many people live in Gokyo and even less in off season like September. It is not easy.

The itinerary after Gokyo seems fine to me but has some long walking days. If you are regular hiker then it should be fine.

Everest Map: …umbra.cz/img/map/Khumbu_Sagarmatha_National…

Gokyo to Everest Base Camp Itinerary on TripAdvisor: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293889-c138406/Nepal…

Everest Base Camp alone Itinerary: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293889-c152405/Nepal…

Good Luck!

Edited: 24 June 2013, 14:44
Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
10,137 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Everest Base Camp Trek with Gokyo Ri and Chukhung Ri

Hi

The ascent to Gokyo is too fast. Even if you have done similar rates of ascent before, it is no guarantee you will be OK this time. Even if you take the risk, any companion needs to be aware of the risks:

himalayanrescue.org/altitudes-sickness.html

Jiri to the main trail beyond Lukla would be quite an achievement, most standard itineraries have 6 or even 7 days. Consider going further by road - to Shivalaya or Bhandar. That said, if you have 3 extra days, I would use the extra days as buffer time for delays in and out of Lukla.

scoodly

Dhaka City...
Level Contributor
112 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Everest Base Camp Trek with Gokyo Ri and Chukhung Ri

Basically, I was really confused about the Cho La pass part, to reach Lobuche, I knew that it will be really dangerous without any guide or porter. After having few words from you, now I'm totally convinced to take the another route. Thanks for that.

Gokyo is at 15,500 feet, Mchermo is at 14,500 feet, Dole is at 13,300 feet height. If you want me to stay somewhere for 1 night extra for acclimatization, then where will you suggest me to stay? Do you think staying at Gokyo an extra day would be fine? or I should stay at Namche 1 day?

Thanks for the Map, but I bought one 2 months ago, while coming back from ABC !!

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,447 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Everest Base Camp Trek with Gokyo Ri and Chukhung Ri

People generally do:

Namche - Dole

Dole - Machhermo

Machhermo - Goyo

A night in Gokyo will be a good option. You can hike to 4th and 5th lakes if you want to. Staying is Machhermo is another idea, there are surrounding hills that you can hike to.

If you have time then add rest days in both Namche and Gokyo or Machhermo, if not either Gokyo or Machhermo.

Good Luck!

Dhaka City...
Level Contributor
112 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Everest Base Camp Trek with Gokyo Ri and Chukhung Ri

Scoodly, thanks for your suggestions. I will reach to Kathmandu by 11am, if I think there is no chance to get a flight by next day, I will immediately start for Jiri. And hopefully I can be at Lukla by day 4 or 5. I don't think there will be any problem regarding flights while coming back. But still I will keep few extra days on my hand. Thanks.

Dhaka City...
Level Contributor
112 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Everest Base Camp Trek with Gokyo Ri and Chukhung Ri

Rhythm D

This is exactly what I was going to ask you man. I guess this is going to be the plan :

** Namche - Dole

** Dole - Machermo - Gokyo - Gokyo Ri - Gokyo

** Gokyo - explore 3 other lakes

** Gokyo - Machermo - Dole - Phortse

Does it sounds good?

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
10,137 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Everest Base Camp Trek with Gokyo Ri and Chukhung Ri

Hi again

Good luck, I hope theweather and flights work out for you and the slower trek up tGokyp valley looks much safer.

Enjoy the trek.

scoodly

Surrey.
Level Contributor
1,515 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Everest Base Camp Trek with Gokyo Ri and Chukhung Ri

I think your first proposed itinerary would be almost inviting problems, even disaster. You really must read up carefully and thoroughly about acclimatisation, and then keep in mind that different people acclimatise differently and the same person may well acclimatise differently even if doing the same trek a second time. I am now quite an experienced trekker in Nepal, and have been well over 5,000m many times, and I would not even consider doing your first itinerary.

Do bear in mind that the effects of AMS do not fully manifest/show until several hours AFTER too high a point has been passed - this is why many people get sick at night when descent is much more difficult, and so more dangerous. This will be especially the case if you are trekking solo - if you get into ANY real trouble, you will depend on others to help you. I would strongly advise you to try and trek with other trekkers, and not to try to do too much too fast - it is a huge mistake, often made by the target driven "western" mentality, to try and do as much as possible in a short period of time. Every year a few trekkers die of AMS - this is almost always totally avoidable.

You also have to consider respiratory infections (which ruin more treks than AMS), weather (especially in Sept which could well be affected by the monsoon), possible strikes, stomach problems, fatigue. I don't want to be too negative, but this is a high and quite tough environment. Slower rates of ascent will effectively remove the risk of AMS and much reduce the risk of serious respiratory etc type illnesses - you will also feel much stronger, fitter and more aware, and so enjoy the whole experience much more. As I have said many times, every time I have been high up in Nepal, I have seen quite a few trekkers who are so tired, ill or zonked out that they do not really enjoy the experience - an incredible waste of time, money and effort.

Some other thoughts:

Flights to Lukla usually leave quite early, though they may be delayed if the weather is not clear enough - but you may well need to be at the airport by 6.30am - this could be tough if you arrive in Nepal the day before (jet lag, sorting out flights etc), but could be doable.

I prefer to stop at Jorsale - Phakding is used more by the large organised groups, thought Sept will probably be fairly quiet (due to the weather).

If you have not trekked in Nepal before, and/or had extensive high altitude trekking experience, I would strongly advise you not to cross Cho La in Sept solo. There may not be many, or even any, other trekkers to follow in Sept, and when you first see the pass from the Tagnag or west side there are TWO routes, only one of which is correct - the more obvious looking route leads to an icy wilderness. It could be very confusing if there is cloud, plus CL is very steep (especially the west face), and you are on thick ice, with crevasses, for about 20-25 minutes at the top of the pass (I have crossed CL 3 times now). A high pass in Nepal is absolutely not the place to be "learning" or making mistakes. Also if there is snow in Sept, the trail could well become obliterated, especially at the top.

You also need to consider the risks of crossing the Ngozumpa glacier solo, especially if there is cloud and snow - this could be very scary and even lethal. Last time I was there (end of Dec 2010) we had some snow, so we waited a day at Tagnag - to have crossed to Gokyo that day would have been mad (and my guide and I are very experienced and pretty "tough").

As I said, I do not want to be too negative, but bad luck and bad decisions can be "punished" very severely in this sort of environment.

Edited: 24 June 2013, 21:48
Surrey.
Level Contributor
1,515 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Everest Base Camp Trek with Gokyo Ri and Chukhung Ri

A ROUGH itinerary, if you have about 15 days, might be soemthing like:

D1: Ktm.

D2: Ktm to Lukla to say Jorsale (I really like the "Nirvana Garden" lodge in Jorsale (I think it is called) - it is very homely).

D3: Jorsale to Namche - walk slowly up the last hill to N - a slower pace makes a huge difference - something I learnt from my guide the 3rd time I did this (first 2 times I was with other westerners).

D4: acclimatisation day at N - do the walk to Kunde and Khumjung - it's a great walk and aids acclimatisation.

D5: N to say Dole - this may be too fast - so possibly stop earlier - I have done this twice and been OK, but that was after trekking the full Annapurna Circuit and Base Camp just before (so I was fit and still had some acclimatisation).

D6: if feeling OK, do Dole to Machermo - it is only about 2 hours, so go slowly, and don't over strain yourself.

D7: again if feeling OK, slowly do Dole to Gokyo - for lots of people this will be too fast. I very much doubt you will feel able or inclined to go up Gokyo Ri on D7.

D8: walk up to the 5th and maybe 6th lakes - few trekkers go up to the 6th lakes - be careful if you are trekking solo (which I think is not wise), and if there is cloud and snow etc.

D9: walk up Gokyo Ri in the morning, have lunch at Gokyo, then either go to Tagnag, or head down to say Phortse (or see how far you can get).

D10: If you are with someone else, and the weather is good, and you KNOW what you are doing (not think you know), then do look at crossing Cho La - it is quite tough, but a good challenge and you get good views. If you go over CL, either stop at Dzongla or carry on to Lobuche - the 3 times I have crossed CL, I either stopped at Lobuche or started there, I have never stayed the night at Dzongla (it is a bit of a dump) - I usually eat in Dzongla.

D11: Aim to head up to Gorak Shep - easy if you stopped at Lobuche, but this may well be too far if you go via Phortse and Pangboche etc (I have not done this, so see what others say). If you do L to GS, then have lunch at L and go up Kala Pattar in the afternoon.

D12: if at GS on D11, you may be able to go to EBC (again be very careful if solo on parts of the Khumbu glacier), then head down to say L or further if you have time.

D13: L to say N - this would be a long day (I have walked GS to N in one day, carrying a full pack, but it is quite tough).

D14: N to Lukla.

D15: fly out Lukla to Ktm.

This is quite a tight, and tough, itinerary, and may illustrate the time constraints you have compared with what you want to do. It also assumes that nothing goes wrong (eg Lukla is not closed due to bad weather).

I always advise people to view itineraries as just a rough template - things change as you trek. BTW I have never trekked in an organised group, so I have not been subject to the sort of itineraries the organised groups are subject to - I am very independent.

Dhaka City...
Level Contributor
112 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Everest Base Camp Trek with Gokyo Ri and Chukhung Ri

Hello Rdccomments.

Thank you so much for such an amazing and detail reply. That will really help me a lot on my trip. Well, basically I had a very little idea about the Cho La pass. I had found lots of photographs and detail travel stories about the Cho La pass in internet, which made me confuse whether its possible to make alone or not. Thats why I've shared my itinerary, to get some helpful ideas and suggestions.

I've trekked Jomsom last year, and I've done the Annapurna Base Camp this year in May. I made it in 6 days from Pokhara to Pokhara. I've stayed at Ghandrukh, Sinuwa, Deurali, MBC, Chomrong, Pokhara. I too trekked alone as an independent trekker !!

I really liked the way you re-scheduled my itinerary, I will love to follow it. But I guess somehow you forgot to add 'day 8' on the plan. which was Dingboche to Chukhung - Chukhung Ri - back to Dingboche. will you please tell about this part, how much time it will take to make it done. 7 hours?

I will try to stay 1 extra night at Namche, as you suggested me before. But I'm thinking that if I feel good after reaching Dole, I will continue till Machermo. I'm also planning to rent a few things, like sleeping bag, a good pair of shoe, etc. Can you tell me something about these things. Don't you thing I should take a sleeping bag? Kathmandu or Namche which one will be good for renting accessories?

Get answers to your questions about Khumbu