We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tusker Trail trek

The Villages...
Level Contributor
295 posts
1,026 reviews
Save Topic
Tusker Trail trek

Has anyone done the trek to Everest Base Camp with Tusker Trail? Any comments, opinions, suggestions??

Sherpa Museum
Speciality Museums
Memorial to Scott Fischer
Cemeteries, Monuments & Statues, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Cumbria
Level Contributor
5,180 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tusker Trail trek

As an American I can understand why you would pick an American company to trek EBC – I can’t comment on “Tusker Trails” but can say that you could cut your trekking costs in half in Nepal by using a Local Reputable TAAN registered company, Tusker Trails will subcontract to a local company in any case and the best you could hope for would be one American acting as guide but rest of your trekking staff would be Nepali – So if you want to save a lot of money with no major reductions in the levels of service then my advice would be go with a local outfit.

I have been to Nepal 8 times over the last 17 years with trip number 9 planned for next Spring, so if you want a recommendation of the agent that I use to organise my own treks, please feel free to drop me a line

Good Luck and Happy Safe Trekking

Rob

Pokhara
Level Contributor
892 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tusker Trail trek

Check These Local Company You May Find Them Excellent : 1 : Earthbound Expedition 2 : Thamaserku Trekking 3: Trans Himalayan Trek 4 : Base Camp Treks !!! For A Tip Of Cuting a Cost Good Information Already Provided by Hiring A Local Company Would Be Far Better !!!! Regards Raja Hotel Glacier Pokhara !

The Villages...
Level Contributor
295 posts
1,026 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tusker Trail trek

Thanks for your thoughts Rob. Actually Tusker Trails is a African Co. owned by South African Eddie Franks. They have run Kiliminjaro treks for years and we hiked there with them in 2008. They especially train their guides in medical monitoring for high altitude problems and carry special equipment that no other company on Kiliminjaro does. I quite agree that you can probably save money trekking with local companies, but I would wonder about the safety issues. All that said, I was hoping to get feedback specifically on Tusker's Everest trek.

Cumbria
Level Contributor
5,180 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tusker Trail trek

Ni Problem Scott, I was just trying top give you a balanced perspective on the available options – I checked Tuskers website and it had an American address and toll free telephone number, hence my assumption of it being American owned ;-)

One more thing, Be Careful who you take advice from on here, Some Posters, Local Hotel Owners etc are Only Interested in self promotion with any advice they might give designed on enhancing their profit margins

Good Luck in Nepal

Rob

Edited: 11 December 2011, 07:54
5. Re: Tusker Trail trek

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 December 2012, 10:19