We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mount everest

Essex
Level Contributor
16 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
mount everest

am planning to visit Nepal this spring. I'm late 50's, daughter is mid 20's. We're fit, but no amazingly so. I want to book a tour for simplicity's sake - main consideration is safety and must see mt. everest. would love to trek to base camp but how arduous is it? and can anyone recommend a uk tour company, or any particular tour they offer. there's so many on the net i'm getting confused.

many thanks

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,316 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mount everest

As a none-too-fit 65 year old I last did the EBC / Kala Pattar trek in 2008. It's not 'a stroll in the park', but taken steadily it's perfectly feasible (and the 68 year-old I followed to the summit of Kala Pattar would agree !). There are a couple of 2 hour, 600 metre ascents, to Namche, and to Tengboche, but there are also many sections of delightful, easy walking. As long as you allow acclimatisation days, particularly at Namche and at Dingboche, you should be able to cope with the altitude.

Why a UK company ? The only possible advantage is that they would save you the hassle of booking your own flights to and from Kathmandu.There are a couple of major disadvantages: firstly it will cost more as the UK company will 'top-slice' what you pay to cover their advertising, offices, salaries, profits. The actual delivery of the trek will almost certainly be subcontracted to a Nepalese company. Secondly joining a group trek means that you are tied in to a fairly inflexible schedule.

It's far more cost-effective to use a Nepalese company: the Nepali are very good at tourism, particularly in Nepal ! You will be able to create a 'tailor-made' package, beginning from pick-up at Kathmandu airport, and providing everything that you need in terms of transfers, accommodation and food, trekking staff, etc. Having your own guide and porter would give you the flexibility to take an extra rest / acclimatisation day if necessary, and to tailor the days to how you are going.

Look at the suggested itinerary under 'Top Questions' on the top right of the Nepal Forum page for more details of the route.

I have a list that I compiled of companies that have been recommended by genuine travellers. Send me a Private Message if you want a copy of that list.

Edited: 26 January 2012, 13:20
Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,532 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mount everest

I am 55 and heading back to Nepal for my 9th trip in 6 weeks time – I plan to trek from Tumlingtar to EBC and I certainly wouldn’t class myself as fit !!

The main consideration is to allow yourself plenty of time to do your trek – The minimum safe timescale to trek Lukla – EBC – Lukla is about two weeks and to this wise trekkers add a few buffer days just in case something should go slightly wrong, minor illness, extra rest day or flight delays

Here is my suggested itinerary

1)Kathmandu to Lukla by flight then trek to Monjo (2650m)

2) Monjo to Namche (3450m)

3)Namche - Rest / Acclimatisation day

4)Namche - Thyanbosche (3867m)

5) Thyanbosche - Dingboche (3930m)

6) Dingboche - Pherichi (4220)

7) Pherichi - Dhugla (4600m)

8) Dhugla – Lobuje (4950 m)

9) Lobuje – Kala Patter(5545m) - Gorok Shep(5140m)

10) Gorok Shep- EBC (5360m)- Lobuje (4930m)

11 Lobuje - Pangboche (High level route turning left at Dhugla)

12) Pangboche – Tengboche

13) Tengboche - Namche Bazaar

14) Namche Bazaar - Lukla

15) Fly Kathmandu

(If you wanted to cut this trek down by a day then you could choose between Kala Pattar (Best option for Great Views of Everest) and EBC it’s self) and therefore combine days 9 and 10 and therefore save one day)

Next a company to organise your trek.

I also agree with Alan, No need to pay all that extra money and book your trek through a UK company, they will only sub contract out to a Nepali company in an case (The Best you could expect is one westerner for guide, and often you won’t even get this !)

You can safe up to 50% by booking through a TAAN Registered agent with no reductions in the level of service you receive – However the trick is to sort out the reputable companies form the sharks, But this isn’t so hard as all the Good TAAN Registered agents have Good Feedback on the internet.

Be very wary of people that advertise their services on travel forums and read thread 152 on this post

www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa…

I no longer post details of the agent that I regularly use in Nepal (8 trips over 18 years) as some of the posters on here who advertise their own trekking services don’t like it, probably because they see this as competition !!

However, if you wish to send me a PM then I will happily pass on his contact details to you.

Good Luck and Happy Safe Trekking

Rob

PS – You might also like to browse the Tips Sections and Travelogues on my Nepal blog as there is quite a bit of info on it ;-)

members.virtualtourist.com/m/50192/6ec/

Edited: 26 January 2012, 13:47
3. Re: mount everest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 February 2012, 06:05
Denmark
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mount everest

In 2007 we went to Nepal with my parents; at that time they were 71 and 73). Ofcourse age makes a difference in what you can manage doing, but most of the limitations are inside your head and gives the most struggles in the planning fase.

If you are normally fit for your age, dont worry!

As Rob, I dont post information about the agent we (my husband, daugther and I, my parents and my brother) have used since 1999, where my brother visited Nepal first time. But if you send me a PM, I will be more than happy to share his contact information with you.

Lisbeth

Denmark

London
Level Contributor
508 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mount everest

I agree with the above, try for a local agency. If you are still unconvinced and want a UK agency (with the additional costs) look at:

http://www.mountainkingdoms.com/about.ihtml

Ages range from 20's to 80's and you get to meet up pre-trek with everyone who is going on a trek in the following months (not necessarily your trek though) and at the end you can ask questions with the small family team (including the MD) in the pub. You might miss this because of your spring departure??

However it is the only trekking agency I have used to date so I haven't got others to compare to.

As for fitness, I always recommend training on the step machine in the gym before hand and the acquisition of a good set of walking poles.

Essex
Level Contributor
16 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mount everest

Hi many thanks for your reply to my ? re Everest. To be honest I just feel safer money-wise booking through a UK company, and I'd hate to arrive in Katmandu without being sure of being met etc etc. But I am interested in using a nepalese co. direct, with this in mind can you send me a list of the companies you mention?

many thanks Jill

Essex
Level Contributor
16 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: mount everest

Hi, thanks for your tips which i found very helpful Jill

Essex
Level Contributor
16 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: mount everest

Hi, thanks for replying to my query. I found it very encouraging to know that I probably could manage it, also would appreciate details of the company you used? Many thanks, JIll

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: mount everest

Hi Jill

I done EBC/Goyko Lakes in Sep/Oct last year and actually used a local Napalese company recommended from Alan in the above post.They took care of my every need from Hotels in Katmandu,accommodation during the trek,guide and porter,internal flights etc.Definitely book with reputable Nepalese company and have a great trek.

Ted

10. Re: mount everest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 March 2012, 13:35