We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kala Pattar to EBC

Sydney
Level Contributor
79 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Kala Pattar to EBC

Can anyone tell me more about a route that runs from Kala pattar to EBC avoiding going back to Gorak Shep. We are thinking of being there in December so the conditions will be a factor.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Kala Pattar
Kala Pattar
73 Reviews
Khumbu, Nepal
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tibet, Montagna e sport invernali, Milan, Nepal, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Ladakh, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
7,835 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kala Pattar to EBC

In december you will find clear sky but cold ;-)

Here you can read about a route over there: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293889-c152405/Nepal…

Namaste

Rongpuk

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,375 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kala Pattar to EBC

Sorry - I don't know of a direct route from KP to EBC, which is why it isn't mentioned in my itinerary to which Rongpuk quotes the link.

To the northeast of Kala Pattar there's a tributary glacier that might bar the way towards EBC, but it may well be feasible to drop from KP down into the ablation valley of the northwest side of the Khumbu glacier: I'm not sure how much time it would save though when compared with taking the more trodden route back to Gorak Shep and then to EBC (particularly as in December the slopes down to the glacier are likely to be carrying snow)

Edited: 30 May 2012, 00:40
Mentioned in this post
Kala Pattar
Kala Pattar
73 Reviews
Khumbu, Nepal
France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kala Pattar to EBC

I have been to there once so do not know much more about it. However I do not think that there are direct routes to EBC from Kalapatthar without coming back to Gorakshep. I think many people go for sunrise to Kalapatthar without foods, come back to lodge, get some foods and continue to Kalapatthar! Have you heard of such routes actually? Or you are just asking if there are any!

Sydney
Level Contributor
79 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kala Pattar to EBC

Thanks for the info. I thought i had read some were that you could do this but maybe i was mistaken. If we headed up Kala pattar in the morning and back to Gorak Shep then on to EBC and back to Gorak Shep how long do you think it would take and do you think there would be enough time to sart heading back down?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Kala Pattar
Kala Pattar
73 Reviews
Khumbu, Nepal
Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,375 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kala Pattar to EBC

Re #4: unless you are super-fit, NO. It also seems sad to rush the incredible experience of being there (particularly Kala Pattar - the view is incredible, and far better than that from EBC).

Personally I think the ascent of Kala Pattar is better in the afternoon: the sun rises behind Everest, and is therefore in your eyes (and your camera lens) in the morning

Edited: 30 May 2012, 23:08
Mentioned in this post
Kala Pattar
Kala Pattar
73 Reviews
Khumbu, Nepal
Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
793 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kala Pattar to EBC

i think it would depend on how early you want to leave in the morning and how long you would like to spend at each place.

i didnt go uo KP as i had injured my leg the afternoon before on the way back from EBC.

in terms of times, the couple of others that went up KP, left around 5-30am and were back about 9-am and said they were on the peak for around 1/2 hour.

you could do that, have something to eat at gorak shep and then go onto ebc, which takes max 2 hours each way, plus maybe an hour or 2 to spend there.

it can quite easily be done, but it would be a full day.

Level Contributor
392 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kala Pattar to EBC

Hi,

I think it is much better to go to Kalapathar in the afternoon. So not to saty 2 nights in so high in the crampy and cold lodges of Gorekshep better climb to Kalapathar the same afternoon if you arrive on time. The next morning go to the basecamp and come back to Gorekshep have something and start the downhill.

Uttam Sapkota

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Kala Pattar to EBC

There is no direct route from Kalapathar to EBC avoiding Gorekshep. Also, this time of year a bit cold and frozen water makes you trouble taking off the beaten trails. So, you must follow the common trails avoiding risks.....

San francisco...
Level Contributor
24 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kala Pattar to EBC

You have good advice from these posts and I'll add some more info on the duration. From Lobuche, I trekked to Gorekshep, then EBC, then KP and then back to Lobuche. This was a challenging day as the loop took around 8 hrs. I didn't leave very early as I wanted to be on KP in the afternoon and I arrived back at Lobuche at dusk. I am quite fit and move a good pace which allowed me to spend an hour at EBC and another hour on the top of KP. dave

10. Re: Kala Pattar to EBC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 17:17