We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Johannesburg Airport to Protea Wanderers Hotel

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
59 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Johannesburg Airport to Protea Wanderers Hotel

I am a solo female traveller in my 60s and will be visiting South Africa in October. I am staying the first night at the City Lodge Hotel near J'burg Airport. The next day, I need to transfer to the Protea Wanderers Hotel. Does anyone know a safe and not too expensive way of getting to the Protea Wanderers. I can either go directly from the City Lodge or go back to the airport. I have heard horror stories of J'burg. Is it really not safe to take public transport? I am a seasoned traveler who has travelled all over the world using public transport. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
845 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Johannesburg Airport to Protea Wanderers Hotel

As I am sure many of the local experts will tell you it is not a matter of safety but a matter of (for the moment) the total lack of public transport especially from the airport.To get around you will need your own transport or use taxis, another option is to hire a guide to take you around during your stay.Many hotels and guest houses will also arrange transfers for you.

johannesburg
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Johannesburg Airport to Protea Wanderers Hotel

There is no public transport from the City Lodge to the Protea Hotel Wanderers. You best bet is to organise a transfer or taxi. It is only about 20 minutes from each other (outside peak traffic hours). I would arrange a transfer

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
59 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Johannesburg Airport to Protea Wanderers Hotel

Thank you. Do you know any company with which I can arrange a transfer? Also is transfer cheaper than taxi?

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,563 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Johannesburg Airport to Protea Wanderers Hotel

No - a taxi would be cheaper. FYI - the shuttle between the City Lodge and the airport is probably not complimentary. Most of the properties there have companies that provide that service, and there is a small fee involved. Most of us would wonder why not just go on to the Wanderers hotel that first night? It is not an expensive property, and you could get it all done at once.

Johannesburg
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Johannesburg Airport to Protea Wanderers Hotel

Good Morning Judith,

I am the Guest Relations Manager at Protea Hotel Wanderers. I would be happy to arrange for our In-House Transfer Company to pick you up from the City Lodge as this is probably the safest way for you to travel. Please advise details of the date / time you would like to be picked up. There is a charge of R350 for this pickup.

Regards,

Sibongile Ndhlovu.

guest@phwanderers.co.za

+27 11 770 5500

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
59 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Johannesburg Airport to Protea Wanderers Hotel

Do you have any idea what a taxi would cost? The option suggestsd by the Wanderers Hotel seems expensive. I don'r want to blow my holiday budget on the first day. Your idea is great but in a rash moment I booked and paid for the City Lodge as I wanted somehting near the airport as I'll be ready to crash after a 26 hour journey.

7. Re: Johannesburg Airport to Protea Wanderers Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2010, 04:18