We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about Johannesburg

Cairo, Egypt
2 posts
Save Topic
Question about Johannesburg

I have a business trip in Johannesburg for 4 months

I need to know how much will cost me the apartment rent (for 1 person), food, car rental.

Also if u have some general advice about Johannesburg as I hear from some friends it’s not safe.

Thanks in advance for your help

Pretoria
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about Johannesburg

It will cost you about R2000 per day for everything if you stay in the Johannesburg suburbs of Sandton, Fourways, Rosebank or Lonehill. These are good areas and are recommended.

If this is too expensive you can stay in the suburb of Melville or Aucklandpark, which is also good areas, but less upmarket.

Edited: 01 June 2010, 17:07
durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about Johannesburg

I would suggest you get hold of a realtor in Johannesburg and let them guide you. Once you have told them your budget, requirements and place of work they will be able to put you on to the correct branch. Real Estate Agents RE/Max, Pam Golding, Seeff or google real estate agents in Gauteng.

www.kimssouthafrica.blogspot.com

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,730 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about Johannesburg

for the rate Navigator mentions you should rather buy a flat AND a car, sell it afterwards and you will be fine. You realize that the calculation equals app. R60.000 per month (R240.000,00 for 4 months???)

I am sure the advise to find a real estate agent is a good avdise. You will find places from R4000.00 - R10.000 per month in the upmarket areas (depending on the size of flat you are wanting to rent). Corporate rental is always interesting to owners as the money will come in surely, upfront.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,070 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about Johannesburg

Klaus

i was just about to post the same calculations. Even down here in the Cape, where prices are at least twice those in Gauteng, you would get a 5 bedroom, 6 bathroom mansion with large swimming pool, in an excellent suburb for R60,000 a month!

OK you need to pay for a car and food - but just rent out the other 4 bedrooms!

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
742 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about Johannesburg

Ahmed_Halim,

It depends a lot on which area you prefer to stay. If you live in Sandton central, like the other posters said, you can expect to pay a lot. If you are travelling alone a one- or two bedroom apartment will probably do, and in Sandton that would probably be around R10, 000 per month. It can be more, it can certainly be less, but I'd call it a general average.

Car rental would also be cheaper on a monthly basis as opposed to a day-by-day basis, once again depending on make and model of the car. Food is either quite expensive or very affordable, depending on whether you eat out at high-end restaurants or buy groceries at a supermarket and cook for yourself. Most households spend between R2000 - R5000 on groceries per month, as an individual you will probably be closer to R2k than R5k.

All things considered, and depending of course on your preferences and needs, I can't see you spending more than R20, 000 per month on living costs (in Sandton). Things get progressively cheaper as you move out of the Sandton area, so I would follow the advice above and rather get in touch with a realtor who can look at your budget and work accordingly.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,206 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Question about Johannesburg

Traffic in Joburg can get horrendous, so you want to live in easy commuting distance of work.

Cairo, Egypt
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Question about Johannesburg

thanks alot all for your suggestions :)

really appreciated

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
19 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question about Johannesburg

You can find self catering accommodation for $75 per day in Joburg, in a safe area with off-street parking. Public transport in Joburg is awful and if you are going to be here for several months you should hire a car and learn your way around

9. Re: Question about Johannesburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 October 2010, 13:35
10. Re: Question about Johannesburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 April 2011, 06:19