We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pilansberg - Mayane & Bakgatla

Athens, Greece
5 posts
Save Topic
Pilansberg - Mayane & Bakgatla

I am considering a trip to either Mayane & Bakgatla camps which are part of the Golden Leopard Resort group in the Pilansberg as they are both within my price range and will most likely stay in "Safari Tents" if I do book.

My concern is that these two locations may be too commercial in style. I have been the the Kruger a few times and generally enjoy the more authentic, rustic experience. However I see that there are "putt putt courses" etc etc and am worried that it will be more of a commercial safari, with tv's at every corner?

Can anyone please advise?

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,237 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Pilansberg - Mayane & Bakgatla

Pilanesberg is a smallish reserve well suited to people staying in Johannesburg, who have only a day or 2 to squeeze in a safari. There are better places to go to if you have more time, but it is not a waste of time to go there.

Alberton, South...
Level Contributor
50 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pilansberg - Mayane & Bakgatla

I've been to Manyane before and the safari tents are well away from the putt-putt etc...and no ways you are going to find a tv in the safari tent.

Please just take note that the safari tents at Manyane are nothing ike the safari tents that one sees at the more exclusive lodges. It realy is just a tent on a concrete slab with 2 single camp beds, Ablutions are shared with the rest of the caravan/camping park. Due to the nature of the place, it will be noisy and full of kids running around.

Athens, Greece
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Pilansberg - Mayane & Bakgatla

That suits me perfectly, I cannot stay more than two nights and wanted something nearby! So sounds good.

Out of interest, the other places you said you'd recommend, who might they be?

Athens, Greece
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Pilansberg - Mayane & Bakgatla

Is one likely to see a wide selection of animals if you go on the paid-for game drives?

Sandton, South...
Level Contributor
54 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pilansberg - Mayane & Bakgatla

Personally, I think Pilanesberg is one of the best reserves in SA. I love going there and always see plenty of game from my own car - you are virtually guaranteed to see game from the game drive vehicles as they know the game territories.

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
385 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pilansberg - Mayane & Bakgatla

I would opt for Manyane as it is a little closer to Johannesburg and the camp is nice.

Werner

Eko Tracks

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,237 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Pilansberg - Mayane & Bakgatla

Try and plan your trip for not on a weekend and not during South African school holidays, if you want it quieter.

8. Re: Pilansberg - Mayane & Bakgatla

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2011, 06:17