We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late Afternoon tours?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
581 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Late Afternoon tours?

I had planned a couple of nights in Joburg in transit to a safari in Tanzania. Due to the airlines changing flight times, we now arrive at 3.30pm in Joburg and fly out the following morning at 11am. I am thinking it would not be better to stay in a hotel near the airport (was going to stay in Sandton) and hopefully find a tour guide who would take us for a couple of hours tour when we arrive. Recommendations on airport hotels, and whether a tour would be possible at this late stage of the day - what time does the sun set in mid March? Or any other suggestions relating to my dilemma. Thx. GBLyn

Phillipians 4 Four
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
MoAfrika Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris, Multi-day Tours
Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
2,536 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Late Afternoon tours?

Sun will be down shortly after 6, and it will be dark within an hour of that. Weather will still be quite hot however.

Re your dilemma: you will be in the thick of peak "hour" traffic (4pm-7pm) which will make getting anywhere quite tricky. But if you do a trawl of the forum there seem to be quite a number of posts from people wanting to use layover time, so perhaps there are suggestions you could follow up.

Staying in Sandton is still an option thanks to the Gautrain, and presumably nicer than a vanilla airport hotel?

2. Re: Late Afternoon tours?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2011, 05:23