We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flights from Europe to CT or Jhb

Cornwall
Level Contributor
125 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
flights from Europe to CT or Jhb

I believe that one can get a cheaper flight to RSA if flying from one of the European cities - has anyone any details please? I am thinking of going in late September but my dates flexible.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,923 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: flights from Europe to CT or Jhb

"cheaper" than what/whom?

Cheaper than BA? SAA?

In general, flights are cheaper if they are less attractive, so you may find a day-time flight with KLM from Amsterdam is cheaper.

Similarly, indirect flights can be cheaper than non-stop.

You may find going via Dubai with emirates cheaper. (Or any European carrier, eg Swiss, Lufthansa, etc). But you have to factor in the time and inconvenience.

Boston...
Level Contributor
286 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: flights from Europe to CT or Jhb

Iberia often has low fares to Joburg from most European cities, connecting through Madrid.

It's hard to pin down, though, because typically only a few seats per flight are available at the lowest fares on any airline. As the flight date approaches, the airline will make available more seats more seats at those low fares if it looks like the flight won't be full.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
352 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: flights from Europe to CT or Jhb

Use a search engine such as skyscanner, this will let you see what flights are available and the cost. This will bring up travel agents that you may never have heard of - IMO too risky to make a booking via an unknown 3rd party so I then check the 'best' flights on the airline's own website.

I will then book the preferred flight(s) directly with the airline or somtimes through a 3rd party such as Expedia (online) or Dial a Flight (over the phone).

When looking at the flights you can see which European cities you would transfer in, then using a search engine again check the cost of direct flights from those cities such as Paris, Ams, Frankfurt however you will have to get to those cities somehow and perhaps require an overnight stay dependant on flight times so maybe not the cheapest option in the end.

Also you would not have the safety net of booking a 'through trip' if anything were to go wrong.

Sorry this is a bit long winded and I hope that it makes sense.

Cheers

AB

Edited: 22 May 2011, 18:02
Avila Beach...
Level Contributor
1,209 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: flights from Europe to CT or Jhb

In my experience, flight costs and availability change throughout the day. I am flying LA to Paris and Paris to JNB and I found a flight that met my needs by checking search engines a couple times a day for months, Flights that were cheap one minute were not several hours later and other flights suddently appeared or went down. I finally found a flight I wanted for an ok (not exceptional) price (Air France). The price actually went down as I was deciding whether to book it or not! KLM, Iberia and Emeritus all had lower priced flights listed at one time or another.

Edited: 22 May 2011, 19:54
Cornwall
Level Contributor
125 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: flights from Europe to CT or Jhb

Many thanks for the info, quite a good tip of checking out the European carrier's website if it is an indirect flight. I have done the Spanish connection before and it is usually a good trip, obviously times are longer but if one can save a considerable amount it is worth it.

6. Re: flights from Europe to CT or Jhb

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2012, 06:34