We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Who said Johannesburg is unsafe!!!

9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Who said Johannesburg is unsafe!!!

Been so scared to step on th OR tempo and JH streets because of bad reviews everywhere spec in trip advisor. HEY !!!! Johannesburg is the most beautiful and SAFE place o have ever been!!! Nice nice nice people, wonderful place ! Much safer and higher class than Everywhere else.loveeee everything about Johannesburg .

Benoni, South Africa
Level Contributor
145 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Who said Johannesburg is unsafe!!!

Hi Rosemartini.

I suspect you did not stay in Johannesburg, more than lilkely Sandton!

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,809 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Who said Johannesburg is unsafe!!!

Strange phenomenon and oh so representative for what is interesting to readers and what not. Somebody writes something good about Johannesburg and hardly anyone has to say something.

If someone writes about how bad JHB is, everyone reads the story and has got an opinion to contribute.

I appreciate the post as I have lived many years in JHB and enjoyed it as the OP, and I did not live in Sandton. Funny enough just yesterday I had exactly this discussion with dinner guests of ours.

It proofs, bad press sells better than good press.

Thanks Rosemartini for the contribution.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

(PS: now waiting for all the crime stats someone will dig out)

Benoni, South Africa
Level Contributor
145 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Who said Johannesburg is unsafe!!!

Don’t even know for sure if Abangane's comment deserves a reply, but!!, all we need now is for a well meaning group of tourists to book themselves into a Hotel in "Johannesburg", i.e. the CENTRAL Business area, as most tourists would relate to the term, after reading a well meaning writers opinion of how safe and wonderful it is.

However to ALL readers for once and for all, we value your presence here in SA, and especially appreciate it if you spend time in the general Johannesburg area, but there is a MASSIVE difference between actually staying in the place called Johannesburg which is a no no!!!!!, as opposed to the much more affluent City in its own right called Sandton, or it's far Northern Suburbs neighbours like Rosebank, Westcliffe etc, with their many ultra luxurious and truly world class hotels, and high degree of sophisticated security.

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,809 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Who said Johannesburg is unsafe!!!

pretty high horse you are coming from down on me. Just play nicely!

The international traveller does not differentiate between JHB, CBD and greater JHB, Sandton, Rosebank etc., hundreds and hundreds of international guests have proven that in discussions with us.

Generalisation is the problem! But the bigger problem is the self-fulfilling prophecy of South Africans. There are even in CBD great and safe areas. Been there lately?

With this comment I am out of here!

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Who said Johannesburg is unsafe!!!

I m just saying pleas stop scaring people of coming to such a great place. I was in such a big FEAR before coming to this loving country! I love it now ! Such a silly comment u people give ! Ofcoarse I haven't been to some parts of JH !!!! Why would I?!!! As a tourist we aren't supposed to do that!

Benoni, South Africa
Level Contributor
145 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Who said Johannesburg is unsafe!!!

My absolute final say from my HIGH horse. I am the single most qualified person on this entire TripAdvisor website to comment on the merits of the general Johannesburg region, and where to go, and not to go, especially in the City which 99% of tourists DO NOT EVER see.. And I don't have any ulterior motives to market my services or property, so my advice is totally impartial, and appreciated according to 30 + p.m's this year alone.

Re the "average" Tourist perspective that Sandton is Johannesburg, ... Sad but apparently true.

And Yes, I have been in the CITY on Thousands of occasions, and on 20 or more occasions this year alone . As an avid amateur Photographer / historian, I have documented most parts of Johannesburg that 99% of people would NOT dare venture in, in order to ultimately make a photo story about the history of as many as possible of the City's 100 + Cinemas /Bioscopes, all of which are not functioning anymore. And, yes I have been accosted and had to fend off criminal elements in the CBD. But I intend to go back to complete this task, and find a new challenge subsequently. Over and out. @rosemartini, I am sincerley glad you had a wonderful holiday in Sandton, we hope you return one day.

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,809 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Who said Johannesburg is unsafe!!!

Gee, the horse cant be taller, can it?

....My absolute final say from my HIGH horse. I am the single most qualified person on this entire TripAdvisor website to comment on the merits of the general Johannesburg region, and where to go, and not to go, especially in the City which 99% of tourists DO NOT EVER see.. And I don't have any ulterior motives to market my services or property, so my advice is totally impartial, and appreciated according to 30 + p.m's this year alone.....

What makes you such an expert? Did we ever read or hear of you in the press or on TV? Always nice and easy to hide behind an anonymous profile.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,809 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Who said Johannesburg is unsafe!!!

sorry I forgot that I wanted to be out of here.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
710 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Who said Johannesburg is unsafe!!!

Good post Rosemartini.

South Africans should remember that the general idea from overseas visitors is that visiting South Africa is dangerous and visiting Johannesburg is a death wish (after our luggage is slashed at the airport).

Apparently you can actually visit the city and even enjoy it ;-)

10. Re: Who said Johannesburg is unsafe!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 August 2011, 23:05
Get answers to your questions about Greater Johannesburg