We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days jo'burg possibilities

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
535 posts
Save Topic
4 days jo'burg possibilities

Hi,

Could you do the following in 4 days because the people in cape town say that there isn't much in Jo'burg?

Apartheid Museum

Soweto tour tour

Melville

ellis park

Soccer city

freedom park / Voortrekker monument

Downtown Jo'burh

Diepsloot (just because i heard it's mad)

Thanks

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,883 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 days jo'burg possibilities

Be aware that some Capetonians - including some of the Capetonians who post on TA - are very sniffy about Joburg and rarely miss an opportunity, gratuitous or otherwise, to run the city down. So their advice is not necessarily unbiased.

In principle, you can "do" all of the above (with the possible exception of Diepsloot), and quite a bit more besides. How you would do it, I'm not sure - check the Jhb forum for "getting-around" suggestions.

Be aware that parts of downtown Jhb are very run-down - although others, such as the Main Street Live area, are fine - so be sure you know where you are going. I can't give you more specific advice than that - we need a destination expert!

Freedom Park and the Voortrekker Monument are not in Jhb at all, but in Pretoria which is some 40-50 km to the north.

Not sure what you are expecting of Diepsloot: it is a large township and informal settlement ("squatter camp") between Jhb and Pretoria. In what sense have you heard it is "mad"? See www.theharbinger.co.za/wordpress/index.php…

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
535 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 days jo'burg possibilities

Ok yeah i understand.

so freedom park and the momument is out for me

Yeah i'll go to the safe parts of downtown.

I just mentioned diepsloot as i seen it on a youtube video. I think it was a bbc program with that journalist Louis Theroux

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
332 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 days jo'burg possibilities

You can do the Soweto and Apartheid museum in one full day. Have dinner in Melville or Greenside or Rosebank. All suburbs are good and lots of nice restaurants. The Soccer City stadium you will pass on you way to the Apartheid museum after the Soweto tour. Diepsloot I would not recommend if you do not know your way around there.

Pretoria and the Freedom park you can do on a other day tour. It is also nice to do. May be include the Cullinan diamond mine.

Other day tours that are nice to do is Sterkfontein and Maropeng. Pilanesberg Game reserve.

Johannesburg is not so bad and we do have a lot of options of good sight seeing in and surrounding Johannesburg.

Agnes

Felleng Tours

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
654 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 days jo'burg possibilities

You've already been given great advise already. As for Diepsloot, it is just a sprawling residential area (informal and some now formal housing). There is not much to see there. And not very tourist-friendly (Louis would have had fixers and guides and security and whole film crew to make sure he is safe in the 'madness').

As for Downtown Joburg, I'd recommend the Newtown area as well, including Market Theatre, Sophiatown Restaurant (great people watching) and Museum Africa.

There are many other great sites, but really depends on what are your interests.

5. Re: 4 days jo'burg possibilities

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2013, 10:20