We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is 4000 Rand enough for a 14 day stay?

Wine County...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Is 4000 Rand enough for a 14 day stay?

I am going to Joburg for around 14 days some time later this year. Lodging is already covered and I don't plan on doing a lot of shopping, just dining (nothing overly fancy), maybe a movie, and that's it.

So, not including airfare and lodging, is 4000 rand enough spending money for a 14 day stay in Joburg?

Keep in mind, 4000 rand is my expected budget (including debit/credit)

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,195 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is 4000 Rand enough for a 14 day stay?

Don't know which country you are from but R285 is only around UK£23 or US$35 perday - depending on the actual exchange rates when you come it might be a bit more or a bit less.

Assume that prices are a bit less than the UK and mostly pretty similar to much of the US (non-holiday cities)

You have to pay for two (maybe three) meals a day and, presumably, local transport and then incidentals this could be pretty tight.

Are you working - in which case, if you are staying close to your place of work it will be cheaper and you should manage. Or are you on vacation - in which case you won't have the option to travel around very much and spending 14 days actually in Joburg city will be, to say the least, a strain to find things to do!

For transport you will have to learn how to use the local mini-bus shared taxis. Not normally used by tourists, but cheap. There are some bus services but these may not go where you stay or want to go. Otherwise metered taxis will totally use u0p your budget - with none left for food!

You could eat mainly in cheap chain restaurants and drink tap water (good quality) and probably get away with it. But if you want more this is not really enough!

Of course many people live on much less than R2,000 a week in Joburg (especially in areas such as Soweto). But they are not eating in restaurants (even cheap ones) every day.

Let us know where you are staying and what you plan to do with your time and we can give more specific advice.

Edited: 15 January 2012, 09:12
Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
5,499 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is 4000 Rand enough for a 14 day stay?

I agree with Van_de-Caab, if you want to enjoy reasonably good meals, and have some money available for transport, I would reckon that R4000.00 is too little for 14 days.

I would guess that about R7000.00 would be your minimum, in order to enjoy your visit.

enjoy your stay in Sunny South Africa

Wine County...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is 4000 Rand enough for a 14 day stay?

Transportation is covered.

I will be interning at a place in Sandton so I will be staying busy, but I still want to have some fun.

I am coming from the US.

I should be able to bring 8200ZAR.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,195 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is 4000 Rand enough for a 14 day stay?

As you mention Debit and Credit cards. There is no need to bring any cash at all. Just pay for big expenses with a CC. Acceptable anywhere and if you have a good CC (the best US ones, I think, for overseas spending are Capital One) then you get virtually no Forex charges - much less than changing Dollars to Rand in thye USA - or in South Africa. Visa & Mastercard are acceptable virtually everywhere in South Africa - restaurants, hotels, airlines, suppermarkets and big shops. AE aand Diners much less so.

Then for Cash just withdraw what you need from ATMs - every ffew days. Sitruated everywhere - High Street Banks, Shopping centres and Malls, airports and main Gas Stations - even in the smallest towns. Again I think that Capital One has the best Debit Card Account with virtually no Forex Charges.

Not a good idea to carrry all your money as Cash, wherever yyou travel in the world. You can mislay it, loose it or even get it stolen. If you have two cards CC and DC just carry them in different places and, if you loose one, you can get by with the other. If you loose a card, or it is in some way compromised then your Bank is legaly required tto cover thye expenses. Iif you carry cash - if you loose it, it is gone!

Then if you change all your money into Rand - and then don't spend it, you have to change the remainder back to dollars and loose another chunk of money in Forex fees! Bringing cards you don't need to make any decisions before you come. Just have enough funds in your current account to cover aall your Debit Card ATM wihdrawals. If you need more you can easily do tranfers over the internet between accounts - takes only a few minutes.

Edited: 15 January 2012, 21:30
5. Re: Is 4000 Rand enough for a 14 day stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2013, 10:18