We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sample Itinerary

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
437 posts
232 reviews
Save Topic
Sample Itinerary

Here is the first draft of my itinerary for our time in South Africa early Sept. We want to stay 3-4 weeks Keep in mind we aren't into visiting heaps of museums, gardens, zoos and are not into hiking or fishing. We love to drive for scenery, stop here and there to have a chat to the locals, then be on our way again.

Day 1 Arrive Johannesburg late afternoon

Day 2 In Johannesburg

Day 3 Drive thru Pretoria to Graskop for night

Day 4 Drive Panorama Route then to Satara Restcamp

Day 5 In Satara

Day 6 Drive to Lower Sabie Rest camp

Day 7 In Lower Sabie

Day 8 Drive thru Ermelo to maybe Newcastle for night

Day 9 Drive thru Durban (have no desire to stop there) and on to Port Shepstone

Day 10 Drive thru Port Edwards to Port St Johns

(I've read the eastern coastline is beautiful--is it worth stopping at these places?)

Day 11 Drive to East London (I've read the route from Port St Johns to Umata is suppose to be very pretty? Visit Coffee Bay on way thru?)

Day 12 Drive to Port Elizabeth

Day 13 In Port Elizabeth and visit Addo Elephant Reserve?

Day 14 Drive to Oudtshoorn

Day 15 In Oudtshoorn--cango caves, ostritch farm and scenic loop drive up thru Swartberg Pass then back thru Meringspoort to Outshoorn.

Day 16 Drive thru George to Mossel Bay then on to Cape Agulhas (worth visiting?)

Day 17, 18, 19 Drive thru Hermanus then on to Franschhoek where I've booked accom for 3 nights. I figured we'd use this as our base to visit Cape Town.

If we make the trip 3 weeks we'd fly on Day 19 back to Johannesburg then back to Sydney. If we need to add extra days in we could fly back anytime during the next week.

Mentioned in this post
Johannesburg
Johannesburg
Greater Johannesburg, South Africa
Pretoria
Pretoria
Gauteng, South Africa
Durban
Durban
KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
Port Elizabeth
Port Elizabeth
Eastern Cape, South Africa
Oudtshoorn
Oudtshoorn
Western Cape, South Africa
Swartberg Pass
Swartberg Pass
1,334 Reviews
Oudtshoorn, South Africa
Mossel Bay
Mossel Bay
Hermanus
Hermanus
Overstrand, South Africa
Franschhoek
Franschhoek
Cape Town
Cape Town
Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
819 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sample Itinerary

jealous

2. Re: Sample Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2013, 10:23