We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flight layover time

Vermont
Level Contributor
68 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
flight layover time

I will be flying in from Victoria falls to JNB. I need to catch a flight to Cape Town. My question is.... How long of a layover should I allow myself . I land at JNB at 13:35. What time would be the earliest to catch a flight to CPT? Thank You. By the way Cape Town was a add on trip so I had already purchased tickets round trip from JNB to VIC Falls.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,081 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: flight layover time

If you are buying separate tickets on a different airline then maybe give yourself two hours. If you can add your tickets onto the same airline (SAA or BA) so you can check all the way through (you will still need to go through immigration and customs in Joburg) then they will speed you through and 90 mins should be fine - also no need to worry about a late arrival. If it is the same airline they will simply check you onto the next plane. JNB-CPT flights are around every hour on both SAA or BA (max two hours). if you are late anyway your wait will be less than this. Middle of the day planes are not normally full.

One tip. If you book the JNB-CPT ticket on one of the low cost airlines such as Kulula, 1Time or Mango, (usually saves you quite a bit of money) then check-in on-line the previous evening from your accommodation in VF. Now all you need to do is drop off your bags at the Fast-Bag Drop Desk after you have come through Customs. Just go straight up the escalator opposite the baggage exit. As you are already checked-in you will have a boarding pass and don't need to get to the desk until 30mins before scheduled take-off. Leeway if your flight into JNB is late.

Edited: 24 January 2012, 15:19
Vermont
Level Contributor
68 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: flight layover time

Thank You so much. I was looking at Kulua. They are so much cheaper, and they had a good time for me to leave. I wanted to giv ourselves two hours, and SAA and BA tickets are sold out at these times. So again Thank you and I will book with Kulua.

3. Re: flight layover time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2013, 09:32