We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time visitor - safari and timing

3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
1st time visitor - safari and timing

We are visiting South Africa for a wedding in June. We want to do a great safari experience and experience Capte Town. We fly into Joburg on a Thurday [ 9am] and have to be in Durban by 2pm on Saturday. [wedding 2.30] We fly back to Uk the following Sunday so we have 10 days.

I am pulling my hair out with planning. Do you think it feasible to fly straight to Kuger from Joburg and return after the early morning game drive on Saturday am. If so - which camp is nearest the airport so that we dont waste time in travelling. We want a high level expereince and we dont want to drive in Kruger [ insufficient time].

Cape Town I'm not worried about as lots of ways to do this. Should we spend more time in Durban at the expense of Cape Town?

We want to have a great time [ first time away without kids for 20 years!] - so would consider a private plane to take us to Kruger if worthwhile! Everyone says S.Africa amazing and we want to experience it at its best.

Fiona 299

Felleng Day Tours
Safaris, Cultural Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Ingrid's Safaris - Day Tour
Safaris, Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Khakiweed Photographic Safaris
Photography Tours, Safaris, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time visitor - safari and timing

You don't need to go to Kruger. You would be hard pressed to do a morning game drive and then fly to Durban and complete the transfer to the wedding (all cleaned and pressed) by 2.30pm.

Why not fly down to Durban and hire a car. You can then do some of the battlefield trips (not in a day as you had originally thought) and tie it in with some Big 5 game viewing in KZN itself before flying into CT (if you must) for a couple of days. Look up the distances between Jo'burg, Durban and CT though and you will see that they are huge. Durban to CT is 1000 miles and Jo'burg to CT about the same. KZN has some world class lodges. Just google Phinda or Nambiti amongst others. Nambiti is in close proximity to the Battlefields so easily combined and not a difficult drive from Durban. Nambiti Hills (5* and Big 5) will even co-ordinate Battlefield tours for you.

Is the wedding actually in Durban itself? If not, its location might make a difference to the advice folks post. Your overall budget might also help (although your comment about chartering a plane suggests it's not an issue).

What are your must do and must haves?

3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time visitor - safari and timing

We must do a safari where we hopefully see the big 5 and giraffes and zebras too! We want a really good vibe and for it to be memorable for the right reasons.

My husband loves history but I dont want to be spending ages looking around so a day should be Ok. Were not wedded to Kruger but dont want to spend much time in Joburg as it really doesnt appeal.

We want to spend more time in Cape Town as everyone states its the highlight of SA.

Fiona 299

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
689 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time visitor - safari and timing

Possible itinerary:

Thursday - arrive and relax in Joburg

Fri - Apartheid Museum and Soweto tour (I know you didn't mention this, but I think its another highlight in SA) in morning and afternoon. Late afternoon flight to Durban in time for amazing High Tea and sleepover at Oyster Box Hotel.

Sat - relax in Durban before the wedding.

Sunday - fly from Durban to Nelspruit (Kruger Park airport)

Sunday - Tuesday - safari in Kruger, fly from Nelspruit to Cape Town

Wednesday - Sunday - enjoy all that Cape Town has to offer.

You can check flight combinations on www.flysaa.com, www.travelstart.co.za, www.kulula.com, www.ba.com,www.1time.co.za,

Level Contributor
2,574 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time visitor - safari and timing

In my experience, the best big 5 destination in Kwazulu Natal, is Phinda Private Game Reserve. (only 3,5 hours' drive from Durban) Excellent sightings of the big 5, as well as giraffes and zebras! Definately my recommendation for someone looking for a safari destination not too far from Durban!

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,425 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time visitor - safari and timing

I agree with SepSeps first 3 days, but I wouldn't fly to Nespruit. I would go to Phinda and spend the bulk of the time in KwaZulu Natal. And then fly to Cape Town for a few days at the end.

Try and change your return journey to fly back from Cape Town.

6. Re: 1st time visitor - safari and timing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 17:17