We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Johannesburg to Kruger

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
48 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Johannesburg to Kruger

I will be passing through Johannesburg in early Nov and am considering a stop over to take a safari (tour) over to Kruger Nat'l Park. Any suggestions regarding a safari (tour) company. I could stop over as long as 10 days.

Mentioned in this post
Johannesburg
Johannesburg
Greater Johannesburg, South Africa
Sephiri Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours, Safaris
Boswa Survival School - One Day Survival Course
Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Eco Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
Boston...
Level Contributor
359 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Johannesburg to Kruger

You have a few options depending on your taste and style.

1) Book a complete package where you get picked up at the airport and taken to one of the private game reserves adjoining/next to Kruger. Most of them include meals, transport, game drives etc. The type of meals, quality of accommodations etc. all depend on your budget and what you may spend.

There are budget tours that have larger groups. The higher end ones tend to be smaller groups and the game viewing can be more private. Look at the other threads on here regarding the private reserves. There are many wonderful recommendations from people who know more about this than I do.

2) You could rent a car and drive to Kruger and self-drive inside Kruger very easily. The road and maps are all excellent and you could easily stay in 3 camps over the 10 day period and see a nice section of Kruger. If you do this, you will have the opportunity to book guided drives (morning, sunset and night, and bush walks) at the camps.

If you are flexible in your days, make sure you add at least 1 day for the Panorama Route (Blyde River Canyon, God's Window, Bourke's Potholes, etc.). This is easily done on your way in or out.

In terms of accommodations in Kruger, look at sanparks.co.za and look for availability at Olifants, Satara and Lower Sabie. You could also stay inside the Park for a few days and outside the Park for some others days. I recommend Hazyview since it gives you easy access to Kruger and to the Panorama Route. Plus you are conveniently located near supermarkets, stores, restaurants etc.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Mentioned in this post
Hazyview
Hazyview
Mpumalanga, South Africa
Panorama Route
Panorama Route
877 Reviews
Graskop, South Africa
San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
48 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Johannesburg to Kruger

Thanks for the response. I am reluctant to go out on my own any time I visit a county for the first time. I realize that it is probably quite easy to do it on one's own, but I prefer something all planned out - meeting at the airport and basically having an itinerary all planned out and structured. I like to have accommodations all laid out with meals included. Any recommendations on a company that would do that? I'm not wealthy, but this may be my only stop ever in South Africa. I am willing to pay a reasonable fee for the services.

Mentioned in this post
Kruger National...
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Johannesburg to Kruger

Hi there GreenRat,

I would suggest somewhere like Umkumbe Safari Lodge, Africa on Foot, or nThambo Tree Camp, all lying within the greater Kruger. All will be able to pick you up at the airport (at a small fee) and your rate will include all meals, snacks, tea/coffee, and 2x game drives and even bush walks a day.

I can personally recommend these places.

I hope you enjoy, and truly hope you have a wonderful time in SA!

Jacqui

Mentioned in this post
South Africa
Level Contributor
1,705 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Johannesburg to Kruger

There are many companies that offer guided Kruger National Park safaris departing from Johannesburg. I would choose one that offers regular scheduled departures with small group sizes, and uses an open vehicle for game drives in Kruger. There are some budget tours who use closed vehicles, or don't use accommodation inside Kruger. If you find a company or tour that looks ok, check out their reviews on tripadvisor, or ask for references. Google Kruger Park budget safari to get some ideas.

Good luck!

Onne from Wild Wings Safaris

Mentioned in this post
Johannesburg
Johannesburg
Greater Johannesburg, South Africa
San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
48 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Johannesburg to Kruger

Unfortunately rapid events have taken over and I will not be in South Africa as I thought. Thanks to all who responded and my apologies.

Mentioned in this post
Boston...
Level Contributor
359 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Johannesburg to Kruger

Sorry to hear that GreenRat. I hope you are able to visit South Africa sometime in the future. At least now you have some ideas to tempt you.

Hope all is well.

Mentioned in this post
Kruger National...
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Johannesburg to Kruger

Shame, sorry about that GreenRat! Hope all is OK on your side, and as Swagat has mentioned, at least you have many things to tempt you :-)

Jacqui.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
48 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Johannesburg to Kruger

It's on my "bucket list." It will happen, I'm sure. Again, thanks for all the pleasant posts - makes one feel welcome already. I've heard of the beauty of South Africa. I will see it I am sure. Thanks again!!

Mentioned in this post
9. Re: Johannesburg to Kruger

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 03:17