We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

luggage

Orlando, Florida
4 posts
Save Topic
luggage

i am traveling to south africa

johannesburg, cape town,botswana, zimbabwe and some other cities in south africa

i know you are only allowed 2 pieces of soft lugggae, but do not know the measurements (size) of the bags allowed (requirements)

does anybody know

thank you

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
3,873 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: luggage

Domestic flights allow ONE piece of luggage, 20 or 22 kg , plus a carry on, I think 7Kg.

Any type of suitcase is suitable EXCEPT on those flights which are made in small aircraft, into bush landing strips (eg to lodges in Botswana, Zambia, etc).

In that case, a soft sided duffel bag, with no wheels or frames, is required.

The weight restrictions are the same.

Remember, the bush planes have no overhead storage, so your carry on will have to be placed under your seat, or on your lap

I do not know where you got the information about two pieces.

This is not correct, unless you are including the "carry on" as a separate piece.

If you have more than one piece of "check in" luggage, you will have to pay extra for the second piece.

Any standard, average size, within reason, is acceptable

Orlando, Florida
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: luggage

thank you so much in total

so that would be one check in bag measuring 62"

and would the carry on size dimensions be the same?

thanks so much for your quick response

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
450 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: luggage

The Carry on will be much smaller (remember it needs to go under the seat or into the overhead bins). South Africa Airports corporation says your bag should be no bigger than this:

56 centimetres tall (approximately 22 inches).

45 centimetres wide (approximately 17.7 inches).

25 centimetres deep (approximately 10 inches).

Usually your check in can be almost any size, but must be under the weight restrictions of your tickets. Your ticket should outline any weight restrictions.

You should note that paying for excess baggage can be time consuming at Johannesburg as you need to go to a separate counter from check in to pay for it. Some airlines allow you to purchase extra weight on your luggage online prior.

Also I've recently noticed that check in staff at the gate are getting a lot more strict about the cabin luggage and are asking people to reduce weight if it is over.

Berkhamsted, United...
Level Contributor
1,398 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: luggage

Whilst some international flights allow 2 pieces of checked luggage up to 62", domestic flights are usually restricted to one checked piece, plus carry on.

See, for example:

flysaa.com/us/…checkedBaggage.html

5. Re: luggage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2015, 05:15