We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants, watering holes and whatnots

West Hollywood...
Level Contributor
307 posts
Save Topic
Restaurants, watering holes and whatnots

Are there any must visit cafes, restaurants, cheese shops, wine bars, cigar shops in Johannesburg?

Any famous chefs we should check out?

~Lucky Chucky

Johannesburg, South...
5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants, watering holes and whatnots

Way too many i would not know where to start - check places like Melville, Melrose Arch, 44 Stanley, Hyde Park Corner.

My Favorites: Nuno's in Melville, Soi in Melville and then there is a very good steak restaurant called the Meat Co. in Melrose best meat restaurant in town and the ambiance is out of this world. just up the road there is a wine shop absolute must in Jo'burg all my clients love it!

Johannesburg, South...
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants, watering holes and whatnots

The name of the wine shop is Winesense

Johannesburg, South...
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants, watering holes and whatnots

www.smithandwollensky.co.za and www.browns.co.za these are two top of the range in Jo'burg. http://www.cubana.co.za/ i only been to this one twice and i am not a cigar smoker so i cannot tell if their cigars are good.

Jo'burg is SA entertainment hub, one get all sorts of restaurants, bars and all of that. As a guide in this town and with the kind of clients i get, i visit these places often

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
450 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants, watering holes and whatnots

Eating:

Near Hyde park is dw 11-13 which is very good. They have a restaurant that is very difficult to get into. But their "grazing room" is easier, and having been there just this week can tell you its fabulous - its a tapas menu.

Blackanese in Maboneng has phenomenal sushi and that area in general is worth a visit. Arts on Main in the same area has a eats market on Sunday and is also a great place for a drink on a Sunday. On a Saturday head to the neighbourgoods market in Braamfontein for a similar experience.

The Saxon in Sandhurst has the best brunch in town

Also I hear very good things about the Cube test kitchen in Parktown North. I've been meaning to go there for months now.

Wine Bars don't really exist as most SA wine served in any restaurant is pretty good! But some Bars of note for their view: San Deck (at the Sandton Sun). The bar at the Hyde Park Sun. Randlords in the City. As mentioned Melville has a very cool vibe and is your best spot to do some bar hopping.

Edited: 28 March 2014, 10:55
Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
666 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants, watering holes and whatnots

For an extra special chef experience, try five hundred at the Saxon Hotel.

West Hollywood...
Level Contributor
307 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants, watering holes and whatnots

SepSep, Andrew and Atamela - you have made my day. You 3 are angels - I hope you enjoy excellent health, have a ton of fun and make a boatload of money.

~Lucky Chucky

7. Re: Restaurants, watering holes and whatnots

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2015, 05:17