We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Withdrawing Money in OR Tambo Airport

New York City, New...
1 post
Save Topic
Withdrawing Money in OR Tambo Airport

Hi folks,

I have a long layover in the OR Tambo airport and I need to withdraw or exchange USD for about 4200 ZAR (rand is required for a tour beginning in Zimbabwe). What is the best way to go about this within the terminal? Should I take USD with me and exchange it at a counter or would I be better off withdrawing from an ATM? If ATM is my best option, will I be able to withdraw the full amount or is there a limit?

Thanks in advance for the help!

West Hollywood...
Level Contributor
307 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Withdrawing Money in OR Tambo Airport

Be careful - some prior threads warned about crooks watching the ATM machines in the airport and then...just be careful. We are going to get enough rand at LAX to get a taxi into town and then get some more rand at the hotel or bank.

~LC

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,771 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Withdrawing Money in OR Tambo Airport

There is at least one (or more) banks inside the airport. We use the ATM no problem. Just don't let anyone "help" you. 420 is not that much, unless your own bank has a lower limit. Just be sure your bank knows you are using your ATM card in SA.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,870 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Withdrawing Money in OR Tambo Airport

Hi Michael, Regards from new york. USE the ATM. the exchange counters have very poor rates. most reports here says there is a limit for rand withdrawals. I could be wrong. You are also limited by your bank here in the US but the daily limit here is more than the equivalent of R4000. Bring 2 debit cards. see my experiment on atm versus a counter. item no.2 tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293740-i9186-k746…

If you are on a stopover, after withdrawing at an ATM, you should be ok.Just be aware of your surroundings. Think like being in New York. No difference.

The two banks I had, the limitswere $750 and 700 = roughly 7000-7500 rand

Edited: 23 May 2014, 19:04
Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,534 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Withdrawing Money in OR Tambo Airport

There are indeed banks in the Terminal - and the ATMs they have in the Terminal are the place to get your rand. I use the ABSA ATMs and have found that R3000 is the limit. But I have had no problem making 2 withdrawals in succession. One right after the other. Did it most recently in January at ORTambo. I bank at Wells Fargo and they charge me $5 for each withdrawal transaction - but ABSA does not charge a fee.

Here's an odd question - do you bank at BofA? I had a client who did - and when she tried to use her card, the ATM kept it. Why? Because she only entered a 3-digit PIN, and nothing more. That was what her pin was.

We later were told by the South Africa bank whose ATM it was - that she should have entered a zero (0) first, then her 3 digits. And yes, we got the card back the next day.

5. Re: Withdrawing Money in OR Tambo Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2014, 12:19
Gilroy, California
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Withdrawing Money in OR Tambo Airport

Hi Michael. Dave's info is all spot on. Our clients withdraw up to ZAR 3000.00 Rand frequently and usually can do so twice in succession before reaching their daily limit. In fact just assisted a group doing so today. Also have experienced the same issue with 3 digit pins, for the few that have them be sure to enter a zero first. Same criteria for Capetown and Durban Airports however smaller rural airports and other ATMS away from the larger cities tend to have lower daily withdrawal issues. Sure you already aware but just for those that aren't, also don't forget to have enough ready cash for your Zimbabwean visa. South Africa does not charge anything to Americans for a visa but Zimbabwe does.....

Michael - Owner - Kanyezi Africa Safaris

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,771 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Withdrawing Money in OR Tambo Airport

Zimbabwean immigration takes USD. Just make sure you have the correct change (either single or double entry visa). Don't expect them to make change in USD (they may, just don't expect them to.).

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,870 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Withdrawing Money in OR Tambo Airport

Hey bwanadave, that is good information re. the 3 digit pin. I did not know about that before I left. The only thing similar I have experienced was in china. they (some of the atms) use a 6 digit pin. all I had to do was place 00 before my pin. I did get that information from the forum though.

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Withdrawing Money in OR Tambo Airport

Always use the ATM at OT airport and have never had a problem. It can be frenetic in the terminal though which concerns some folks. Just be aware of your surroundings and appear confident - good advice for tourists in most places . . .

Cape Town, South...
Destination Expert
for Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
902 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Withdrawing Money in OR Tambo Airport

I lead American Tour groups all the time. You may draw money at the airport ATM. Wipe the keys with your hands afterwards (no time to explain now). and remember to take your printout.

If anyone tries to get your attention then just press "cancel".

When you use your card and the machine asks for your account type from which you would like to withdraw, then enter it correctly as per back home. If that does not work then select the other optiuon on the screen. That works.

For example.. if you select cheque (Americans say checking) and it does not work then select "SAVINGS". THAT WORKS..