We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent your car late in the evening or the next morning?

Level Contributor
1 post
35 reviews
Save Topic
Rent your car late in the evening or the next morning?

We will be travelling to South Africa this september, planning a (classic?) roadtrip from Jo'burg to Cape Town.

Our trip will start with 2/3 nights in Johannesburg, after which we will travel to Kruger etc..

As we will arrive at OR Tambo in the evening, around 21.00 (9PM) I am unsure what to do.

Rent a car that evening and travel to our hostel in the city? Or stay in a hotel at the airport an collect our car the next morning.

The latter option will lose us a(n effective) morning in the city.

However, I also read that it is not recommended to drive around the city at night and sometimes tourists are followed from rental points to be robbed afterwards?

We are used to driving on the right, but have easily adapted to left driving in the UK and Ireland. I understand however that adapting around a nearly deserted Belfast Intl is a bit easier than in crowded Johannesburg.

Thanks!

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rent your car late in the evening or the next morning?

I think for your own peace of mind stay over in the airport and pick up your car the next morning.

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
5,010 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rent your car late in the evening or the next morning?

Hello

This is really something that only you know how you feel about. However I would definitely stay at the airport and get your car early the next morning, it is what we always do.

If you have a long flight you will tired on arrival, so why drive on unfamiliar roads, in an unfamiliar city, late at night, and on the wrong side.

You could have lovely refreshing sleep and get up very early the next day and collect your car, that way you will not lose the morning at all. Last time we collected our car at 4am!

Good luck

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
14 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rent your car late in the evening or the next morning?

Hi there,

I almost always travel at night. I have never had an issue with a rented car from the airport; they wait for you until all hours (just be sure to inform them of your arrival time). As for the safety issue - you have a higher risk of being high jacked in the morning, due to "peak times", than late at night. Just be vigilant and aware of your surrounding.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
2,222 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rent your car late in the evening or the next morning?

As I read your post you will only be going to Kruger after a couple of days in Jhb. What are you planning to do in Jhb? And where "in the city" are you planning to stay? Your intended activities will have an impact on where it would be best for you to stay. I would also come down on the side of staying at/near the airport on your first night rather than try to negotiate strange roads, in the dark, after a long flight. I don't see why picking up the car the next morning should lose you half a day.

5. Re: Rent your car late in the evening or the next morning?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2015, 05:17