We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

resturants

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,737 posts
442 reviews
Save Topic
resturants

we love real thai food and wonder if someone could give their opinions of the food down in Kata...seafood, no italian ( i am a chef), no nothing except thai...love it, or and for drinks too. i saw a video with a wild thai woman, wont tell you what she was doing, but we would like to avoid craziness and enjoy the beach atmosphere...suggestions

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: resturants

For basic cheap Thai food I go to "Red Chair" on KokTanode Road Between Patak Road and Kata Beach Resort. It is off the tourist track but packed in the high season for the lucky tourist who have found it. You can even get Som Tom there, raw papaya salad.

No sea food though. A meal for people will put you out less then $10.

It is a large open restaurant with ugly florescent lights and Red Chairs.

Also the hotel I work at a oceanfront restaurant with some Thai seafood dishes and great views. For menus and prices go to http://www.momtriphuket.com There are 2 restaurants with Thai seafood dishes with views under the same owner, Mom Tri. (not a chain). They are more high-end but great restaurants.

Also on Kata Beach there are a few restaurants, the one on the very south end has good Thai food. Cheap and great views.

Another Thai restaurant I like is just opposite the Kata Post office. I swear she makes the best Tom Yam. There are about 8 chairs on the a noisy corner. It is on the corner of Patak Road and Soi 10. I think it is called Nong and is attached to a tackle shop.

Good luck and hopes this helps.

idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,737 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: resturants

thank you thank you, we love to eat where the locals do, not the touristy type...any other??thanks so much

idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,737 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: resturants

kata noi,

i looked at the menu of where you work. not too expensive, BUT what i don't want when i get there is something flown in from AMERICA...what food is local?? are all the shrimps and scallops from thailand?? i want local food, that is what i do when on vacation..ha

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: resturants

Hi Chef,

The seafood in the Mom Tri's restaurants is local! In fact most places it is I think for example it is easy to find Phuket Lobster (smaller then a regular lobster but tasty!)

but some of our fish is not ... for example Tasmanian salmon...

5. Re: resturants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2010, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Kata Beach