We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is kata like aonang

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3,898 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
is kata like aonang

I found Aonang in Krabi a nightmare, full of tacky shops and eating places and noise everywhere. How does it comare to Kata in Phuket or can someone recommend somewhere more upmarket in Phuket without being isolated.

Coffs Harbour
Level Contributor
267 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is kata like aonang

If you thought Aonang was a nightmare then don't bother with Phuket, you won't cop it at all. Look at some of the smaller islands around the place, Lipe, Lanta, Pha Ngan etc, or maybe consider Koh Chang on the other side of the gulf.

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,889 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is kata like aonang

At Kata the beach is nicer... but otherwise, as Patholigic says, if you found Ao Nang tacky, noisy etc. Phuket isn't the place for you. Maybe look at Khao Lac, Ko Lanta or Ko Ngai

cheers

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,264 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is kata like aonang

Gee that is how i felt about Patong, stayed at Kata to get away from it last October. In May going to Chiang Mai and Ao Nang cos I thought they were different - hope so :)

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3,898 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is kata like aonang

I am actually doing some research for my daughter and husband who are in their mid twenties. They are going to a wedding in Hong Kong from London in November and plan to make a 2 week holiday of it incorporating Bangkok and somewhere else. Phuket came up as there seems to be cheap direct flights from Hong Kong. If Phuket is busier than Aonang they will hate it, the husband likes the sound of Chiang Mai. Paul of Sussex seems to have travelled extensively throughout the region so I am hoping he will have some suggestions. The don't want to spend lots of hours flying e.g. as far as Bali, but my daughter would like to incorporate a few days on a good beach. They are not backpackers and would probably stretch to 4 star. How about PHi PHi?

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is kata like aonang

There are non stop flights from HKG to both Phuket and Koh Samui, there are also beaches within a couple of hours cab ride from Bangkok.

If November though Koh Samui would not be good weatherwise.

It comes down to how they want to spend the beachtime, whether nightlife and westernised tourist style is what they are after, or perhaps more relaxed beach areas.

Gem166 - there are lots of nice beach and island areas. Khao Lak is certainly a good option which can be reached from Phuket Airport.

Quieter beach areas on Phuket such as Bangtao also an option. Koh Lanta plus the smaller islands.

Lots of choices, as always it comes down to how people wish to spend their time, day and evenings.

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,889 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is kata like aonang

I think Chiang Mai is a good idea, and I also agree with Monica that Khao Lak would be perfect. Ko Lanta is an option and it won't be that busy in November, whereas Phi Phi will be. It is possible to take the ferry from Phuket via Phi Phi to Lanta so that you see it, or stay for the odd night if they are really keen to go there

Cheers

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,264 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is kata like aonang

Gem,

Just a thought, after Kata we went up to Nai Yang for 4 nights. This is really small and laid back, It has a few beachside shack eating places and a couple of brick restuarants. Beach is nice - not great but the sunsets are. There is also a National Park there.

We stayed at Indigo Pearl which is a very different type of hotel, built around a tin mining theme. Wonderful but a bit pricey (we fluked vouchers on Ebay which is how come we stayed there).

We have to spend one night in Phuket in May and we are going to stay at Nai Yang Resort which is next to Indigo Pearl, good price on Sawadee.

Novotel Patong has special at the moment at we could stay there for about $70 inc BF but we rather go back to Nai Yang. Actually we want to have dinner on the beach and watch the sunset :)

If you go to youtube and type in Nai Yang you can see what it is like. It is only 5 mins from the airport but strangely enough no airplane noise.

Just another idea for you.

Mari

8. Re: is kata like aonang

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2010, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Kata Beach
Recent Conversations