We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can we walk from Katathani to Kata area and return at night?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
237 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Can we walk from Katathani to Kata area and return at night?

We are staying at the Katathani on Kata Noi beach and would like to walk into Kata some nights for restaurants and also to visit the Ska Bar at the south end of Kata beach.

Is it difficult/safe to walk to and from Kata back to the Katathani at night?

Also, is it easy to get to the Ska Bar from Katathani?

Thanks for your help.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can we walk from Katathani to Kata area and return at night?

Hi there,

I stayed at Katathani in 2005 and was in Phuket in November 2009. The area around the hotel is a lot more built up now than when I stayed there, and there is a few resteaurants within easy walking distance. However we hired a bike to get into Kata as it is a decent walk and is quite hilly. Being my first time in Thailand I was also aprehensive about eating outside the hotel so, not leaving at night wasn't a huge deal (I now know better and would never eat in a hotel restaurant when the quality and price outside is far superior!)

In saying that though, the hotel is beautiful and a Tuk Tuk into Kata would probably cost no more than a couple of dollars. If you don't want to hire a bike or pay for a tuk tuk then you might want to consider somewhere else. I stayed at the Hilton in November and it was fantastic, easy walking distance to Karon and Kata. Also if you can sign up for Hilton Honours and request the upgrade, it is about $50 a night extra if you get it(only if you get it) but we were moved into a suite and had access to the VIP lounge with free drinks and food at happy hour so we virtually ate and drank the extra we paid.

Hope that helps, if you need anything further please ask!

Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,948 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can we walk from Katathani to Kata area and return at night?

The road is a bit hilly,so depending on how fit you are would come into it.

Watch out for bikes & tuk tuks if you do walk.

Across the road from the Tropical Garden Resort there is a little lane/road which you walk down thru the restaurants to access the SKA bar.

Lucky you- love the SKA bar. CJ

melbourne
Level Contributor
463 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Can we walk from Katathani to Kata area and return at night?

The ska bar is on Kata Main beach, but you can't walk along the beach from Katathani to get to it. You can walk into Kata but along the roadway. I've only walked it in the morning and in low season, and there was very little traffic then. I'd consider walking in in the early evening, but maybe not back. I'd be aiming for a cheap tuk tuk ride instead.

australia
Level Contributor
335 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can we walk from Katathani to Kata area and return at night?

We went to the Katathani in July, & went out for dinner every night in Kata.

It only cost 150baht each way in tuk tuk, so we did that. You could walk easily, but I think it would be dangerous at night as there is no path & the cars fly around those corners.

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can we walk from Katathani to Kata area and return at night?

Hi the walk is not far however it can be a bit quite with nothing on the roadside. I would say after 9 pm Dont walk.

I have heard a few instances of a purse and a camera being taken off the person. I don't want to be a fear monger but anyone alone on a quiet stretch of road ANYWHERE can be a target. Mind you there was no harm done to the people but no reason to be a walking target.

If you insist on walking don't take a purse with you. Use your pockets.

Tel
Great Yarmouth U.K
Level Contributor
661 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can we walk from Katathani to Kata area and return at night?

We stayed at Mom Tris Villa Royal in June which is also on Kata Noi. We walked into Kata and back to our hotel almost every night of our twelve night stay and never once felt unsafe. We are in our fifties and although there is a steep hill on the way out of Kata we never found it to much. On two evenings we walked from Kata to Karen beach which is quite a distance but well worth doing if you are fit enough. We didnt hear of or see any trouble or anyone feeling unsafe as the Thai people are the most friendly and respectful people I have ever met in the world. As for eating out you must try as many restaurants as you can as they are of such a high standard. Be sure to eat at The Boat House and The Two Chefs both in Kata and almost opposite each other. Have a good time.

7. Re: Can we walk from Katathani to Kata area and return at night?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2011, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Kata Beach