We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vegetarian friendly restaurants in Kata?

Oslo, Norway
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Vegetarian friendly restaurants in Kata?

Worried about my options when i land in Kata in two weeks time...

Do most / some / no restaurants cater for vegetarians?

Specific recommendations highly appreciated :)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vegetarian friendly restaurants in Kata?

You will find dishes on the menu suitable for vegetarians, wherever you eat. Vegetarianism isn't uncommon in Thailand. Phuket even has a vegetarian festival once a year.

Supposedly there are little yellow flags that have เจ written on them that indicate vegan food. I never noticed any, but tbh didn't look for them either.

Last time we stayed in Kata I was still eating meat so I can't help you specifically, but don't worry, you will have options wherever you go. My vegetarian daughter would just order a noodle or curry dish with meat in it, and have them replace the meat with tofu. Just don't ask if it's cooked in the same pan they were just cooking meat in...and you have to be a little careful with sauces.

When you get sick of just eating vegetables and tofu, consider a veggie friendly dish at an Italian restaurant, eg Capaninna in Kata Beach. Here is an excerpt from a review:

...fried aubergine with tomato mozzarella and parmesan. This was almost a meal in itself, it was that large. Capannina also features homemade pastas and the ravioli burro e salvia featured delicious pockets of ricotta and spinach and sage with parmesan.

No meat !

Edited: 04 March 2012, 23:21
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vegetarian friendly restaurants in Kata?

That little symbol does say vegetarian but only on the Chinese veg restaurants which there are none of in Kata. Gin-Jay. (g like go ) is how you would say you eat vegetarian.

how strict are you as sometimes they do but a bit of oyster sauce in some veg looking dishes. But if you tell them you gin-jay then no problem.

- Morning glory is one my favourite thai dishes Pak pak boong

- and kale like dish also called pak ka na

I like Papaya salad with no shrimp but can handle the fish sauce as it is not fishy and i am not a vegetarian 100%.

- I eat the soups too and just tell them vegetable only

- a lot of restaurants actually don't have a lot of tofu. and tofu is so processed anyways so I try to avoid it.Also if they do have tofu a lot of it is soft and made with egg.

It is easy really but have a phrase book with you or the names of a few dishes. Otherwise you might end up with boring fried rice , fried noodles and stir fry veggies.

Pad-thai is nice and easy vegetarian dish too but gin-jay means they will not put egg and sometimes no onions or garlic or peanuts strangely enough.

For more western options Capannina indeed has amazing dishes, a lovely grilled veg platter, the egg plant melazane and a spinach that I order every time and have for the last 10 years. The service is awful at times but worth it for the good food.

Also Re Ka ta next to the Boathouse and managed by them has some modern cuisine and even vegan options www.rekataphuket.com

Boathouse also has some vegetarian options www.boathousephuket.com

as does the restaurant I work for, Mom Tri's Kitchen.

Hope this helps and just remember gin-jay or even just Jay as in J gin jay means eat vegetrarian Jay is vegetarian.

Oslo, Norway
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Vegetarian friendly restaurants in Kata?

Thanks for your replies :)

Petaluma, California
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vegetarian friendly restaurants in Kata?

Kata has many Thai and Chinese and Italian places with some veg items on the menu, but often the staff does not speak good English (and we don't speak Thai) so communicating about anything beyond ordering an item off of the menu was very challenging. In particular, watch out for fish/oyster sauce, even in the curries and eggs in baked goods and some pastas items.

We found that both Ska Bar and Kata BBQ (both right on the beach at the south end of town) and Mali Chic (on Kata road, middle of the beach) would work with us on substitutions. The best was the waitress Jip at Kata BBQ. She speaks great English and she eats vegetarian on Buddha days and even bought and brought veg items from the Chinese places in Phuket town for us to eat at Kata BBQ. What service!

Capannina (Kata Road, south end across from the municipal building) is the best Italian place. Ask for the manager, Fabio, who is a lacto-vegetarian and knows all of the ingredients. Great pizza, pasta, salad, etc.

Outdoor Restaurant (both north end and south end by the T intersection) also has good pizza and veg pasta and salad bar).

ReKata (by the Boat House Resort right on the beach) has an awesome gourmet raw vegan cuisine, but has also added some seafood lately.

The most surprising is the Horn Grill Steakhouse (South end of Kata road by the T intersection). They have several very good veg meat-substitute menu items.

Khan Baba (north end of Kata near beach center) has separate kitchens for veg and non-veg menu items. Good Indian and Thai food.

5. Re: Vegetarian friendly restaurants in Kata?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 08:16
Get answers to your questions about Kata Beach
Recent Conversations