We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alternative to Kata Beach Resort

coal point
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Alternative to Kata Beach Resort

Hello

we are planning to visit Phuket in november (2 adults, a 20 yo and 18yo) and after much research were keen to book the Kata Beach Resort.It seemed to fit all our requirements-on the beach,nice location, not too far away but not too close to the action.We have now discovered it is actually booked out for that time period! Arrgh! If anyone has a suggestion for a similar hotel we would be very appreciative. Thanks so much

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alternative to Kata Beach Resort

Did they themselves tell you it was booked, it is very popular and many would book in advance, surprised though if full by now.

If you are looking for mid-range style similar well that is the only one of that sort which is right on the beach, you could try Karon Beach Resort which is right on the beach south end of Karon and that is very close to Kata area.

Otherwise it means a walk to the beach unless you went for something like Katathani but that would certainly be a lot more.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alternative to Kata Beach Resort

Are you sure it's booked out ? It may be, but maybe not.

When your travel agent (or an online agent) tells you a hotel is booked out, what they are usually telling you is they have booked out all of "their" allocated rooms. Other agents may still have rooms. The big players bulk-purchase allocations of rooms in advance. I've even had the experience of the Hotel itself telling me there were no rooms available, and then successfully booked a room online for exactly the same period. So check around !

If they are in fact booked out (which can happen as they do do conventions there) the only real on-beach equivalent is Katathani. Or Club Med, I guess. Katathani is a better hotel all around, but is also dearer and not as well located (next beach down). We chose KBR despite this as location was more important to us. Def get an ocean view room if you can.

Other options are available at the tail end of Karon eg Karon Beach Resort and Spa. You are on Karon beach, but Kata beach is walkable. Kammala Beach oft gets recommended as an alternative but I've never stayed there.

For your demographic, I'd be looking at Patong beach anyway. It's not as bad as some make it out to be, unless your sensibilities are easily offended. There are places at the far ends that would suit, and places just nearby by tuk tuk eg Merlin Beach Resort, La Meridien (but you can't walk in from these).

coal point
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alternative to Kata Beach Resort

Thank you for your suggestions

I will have a look at them,

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alternative to Kata Beach Resort

What dates in November ? I just did a random check and 2 Superior or Deluxe rooms are available 7-14 Nov with instant confirmation (which means they ARE available). Sometimes room availability is not released till 6 months in advance. Ironically, you may be looking too early !

... checked again, rooms available for a booking Nov 1 to Nov 30. I'd be changing agents !

Edited: 11 April 2012, 06:56
h v
copenhagen
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Alternative to Kata Beach Resort

Hi there.

Try check out sawadee.com - use this booking every time I am in Thailand, really good booking company.

coal point
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alternative to Kata Beach Resort

Thank you all, these replies are very helpful and i will definately look for someone else to handle my arrangements!!

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
87 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alternative to Kata Beach Resort

what about the sugar palm, just behind kata beach resort, so same loaction, but better priced.

Phuket
Level Contributor
587 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alternative to Kata Beach Resort

Lots of good suggestions given so far . Karon Beach Resort and Phuket Orchid Resort are both owned and managed by the same people who own Kata Beach Resort and they are both suited to your requirements . Put a little more into your budget and like 'Gocdaworld' has already mentioned the name - Katathani' . I think this Hotel is great , it's where I would want to stay if I didn't live here and ticks all the boxes you mentioned .

9. Re: Alternative to Kata Beach Resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 11:17
Get answers to your questions about Kata Beach