We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Katathani wedding

Hong Kong, China
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Katathani wedding

I usually don't bother to write any review, but I really do have some bad experience in this hotel and would like to share...

i decided to organize my wedding at Katathani after seeign so many good comments, however, mine turned out far from any other good comments....

Start from beginning, I have to change three times the wedding staff from the hotel....

I paid my deposit in Oct/Nov, after that, I couldn't find the wedding staff herselves (which before the deposit she is quit proactive), after calling and emailling, finally found out she was in holiday and then later she quit in december to study....

so they send me another girl to follow up, despite the fact that I have to repeat every details again, she is quite efficient. but later she found out that my chosen venue couldnt fit all my guests ( she knows how many guests I will have from day 1 and suggested the venue), and may have to change to another "been vacant for a long time and not a favorite choice for many" venue.

upset and disappointing, i asked for help at tripadvisor, and a nice lady who had a Katathani wedding before said I should ask for Ms. Satinee as my wedding planner. so i give it a try, and Ms. Satinne is nice and experienced, much more orgainze and made me feel a bit better. However, I have to repeat the third time about the whole wedding is very displeasing

To make thing worst, when we and our guests start to reserve the rooms, nightmare started!

The staff inform our guests a different terms and condition such as cancellation policies and room rate, which we original agreed upon. They also send me a different set of cancellation policy about the wedding ceremony. After negiotation, they honored back what we agreed before, but having to discuss and negiotate again and again is very tiring and I found the hotel is very tricky and unprofessional. It also made me start doubting about the credibility of the hotel.

about the wedding-

Decoration

the tent decoration is a bit different from the one they send me before (which is of course worst than the photo they send me), when complaint about it, they simply said that is because of the weather situation.

Celebrant - Mr. William

The celebrant is at least 25mins late for the event!!!! it is totally unacceptable!! and we have instructed him not to wear white if it is possible (at least different color shirt). But He showed up in total white and late. That delay our whole event and he didn't even apologize!

Food and drinks

food and drinks are very good, we have very good feedback from our guests. Mr. Bond were attentive and nice.

Photogrpahy

Mr. Nho is very professional and with big smile and friendly. the pictures were delivered on time right before we left.

hotel room booking - terrible!!

according to my guest, they send a request and didn't get a reply after a week. and the staff also quote a higher room rate to my guests which was not what we agreed before.

Overall hotel service

I think Katathani is a nice resort with a perfect beach location, however, the overall service I've encounter is far from satisfying. I've use their buy 3 get 1 free promotion to book The shore for 4 nights, and 1 more night at Katathani, we checked in on 26, and we are moving to The shore on 27th, knowing it is from the same group, i expected the hotel will do a minimum effort to have a late check out at Katathani / early check in at the Shore. But instead, I received in total three phone calls (within 20 mins, and the second and third is 1 minute apart!!!) asking me to leave my room at noon on time, which actually by the second phone call, we were just waiting in the room for their porter to help us on the luggage. I found the way their staff ask is really rude and very inconsiderate (maybe because of the language barrier)! We were actually at the lobby at 12 15. which is 15 mins late partially because we have to wait for the laundry staff and porter!

Knowing what had happened, the front desk assistant manager offering me lunch while waiting, I told her that i only need my room and really have no time to eat, she said I can keep the lunch for later use (I later found out that the coupon is only good for the date and asked if they can deducted as a discount in the hotel bill which the hotel did deduct 1500Baht on the bill at last)

Informed by the staff that the hotel is fully booked and we have to wait for two hours until we can check in to another one; I was waited in my parents room. then I went to the Shore at 2pm to check in and were informed by the staff that my room is not yet available and have to wait until 3pm!!!

I was so upset with that and cried since they couldn't located my luggage and also i found it so annoying that I have to always checking and pushing them to make things right (I know i'm overracted, but planning a wedding overseas is stressful :P) the shore staff said they will offer me dinner as compensation, but again it never happened, on checking out, I called Miss Sabrina from the Shore about this and she denied that the staffs agreed to offer me anything but just the lunch ( which the lunch is offered by Katathani staff already). Therefore, The shore actually didn't do anything to compensate my waiting on delaying the check in time!

I later also learn that one of my friends booked a Deluxe room and when she checked in, the staff said all the deluxe room are full, instead of upgrading the guest which most hotel will do given the situation, Katathani's staff request her to downgrade her room to superior (which the room rate is 500Baht cheaper). This is totally unacceptable.

other small problems like we have to usually wait for 15 mins for a buggy to take us to the main lobby from the Shore is also annoying.

Despite the overall beautiful ceremony and relatively smooth wedding rundown on my wedding date, the nice and quite deco at the Shore. I found the whole experience with Katathani and The shore is upsetting and very disappointing! We chose Katathani hotel because of the well known hospitality and the expertise in wedding (staff told me they have one wedding every three days). however, I ended up with a inattentive, rude and totally "I don't care attitude since we are fully booked" (they do have a lot of russians tours and the staffs told me they usually pay higher rate) service.

so if you are looking for personal service, look for somewhere else! of course the location is nice and convenience, but it certainly dont worth the price.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Katathani wedding

Thank you for that info. As i often recommend Katathanni. although not for weddings.

Hong Kong, China
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Katathani wedding

I really do think it's a nice hotel, but it is a really big property, thus there will be not many personal service. and for The Shore, since their room charge are quite high in Phuket standard, you will expect something more personal. However, according to my experience, I didn't really enjoy my stay.

I guess if it is just for hotel room, it will be a nice choice, but organizing a wedding is totally different thing.

The lack of communication and messy organization is something I never came across in a "5 star hotel" before (I've organized conferences for my company in various places in Asia before).

So if you have a larger group (we have more than 60 people), you better think twice before committing.

Patong
Level Contributor
479 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Katathani wedding

Can't believe the Celebrant was 25min late and no apology!!!

Hong Kong, China
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Katathani wedding

my planner from Katathani, when I compliant, she replied "Regarding timeliness of our celebrant Mr. William, I called him at 4.44 pm according to the time on my mobile phone record and he arrived at the wedding venue by 4.50 PM thereafter the ceremony started promptly at 5 PM."

however, from the summary she send me earlier,

" 16:30 hrs. - Photographer man and Celebrant arrive at wedding venue (Garden)."

so even he arrived at 4:50pm it is already 20mins late!!!

and I actually mentioned we would like to start our ceremony earlier at 4:30pm, it stated in the porgram book and our planner had a copy before. therefore, he should actually come even earlier ( and that made him actually almost an hour late for our ceremony, we actually all ready and waiting for him for a long long time... )

5. Re: Katathani wedding

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 29 September 2012, 12:05
Hua Hin
Level Contributor
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Katathani wedding

My daughter is going to Phuket in September to organise her wedding at the Katathani and after reading you comments it has given me a bit of a fright. Did you go there in person and how do I get in contact with The romance Planners. Any information would be greatly appreciated..

Italy
Level Contributor
39,487 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Katathani wedding

When we were staying there we saw quite a few weddings and they all looked fabulous so I wouldn't worry.

Hong Kong, China
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Katathani wedding

please don't be too worry, overall, it is okay. and many of my guests actually have good feedback.

I 've been to Phuket a few times, but never stay in Katathani. I chose Katathani as they seems the most organize one and the fastest one to reply.

They told me they do weddings once every three days. In fact, they know what they are doing, and the hotel wedding planner, Satinee (the last one they send me) is very experienced. I guess If I have her from the very beginning, the experience will be a bit different. Therefore, try to ask if you can have her as your wedding planner.

I have to add, the make up artists at Katathani salon are great! I was a bit worry at first (since the artists didn't look very fashionable in person); but they are really good. the woman even came to change my hair style and touch up my make up with a minor charger before the evening banquet.

However, as they do weddings so frequently, it's hardly any personal touch; and they seems less attentive than i expected:< therefore i couldnt say i have a perfect experience.

when is your daughter wedding? if you have more time to plan out, i think it will be better. I am not saying it is a bad hotel, just i have some not too pleasant experiences.

Anyway, if you need more information, just let me know, i'm more than happy to help since I know it is how stressful to plan a overseas wedding.

Good luck and all the best

Hua Hin
Level Contributor
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Katathani wedding

Thank you for your comments. My mind is put at rest now. She is going in September and will be arranging the wedding for April 2014 which will give her plenty of time to get everything perfect. i all certainly keep the names in mind and once again thank you

Hong Kong, China
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Katathani wedding

You are welcome, actually the wedding is not bad, (despite the part that the celebrant is late and the alter deco is not exactly what I want....) just beware the accomadation arrangment and others side details an make sure everything listed on paper. You will be more than fine.

Get answers to your questions about Kata Beach
Recent Conversations