We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kata Beach or Karon Beach

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Kata Beach or Karon Beach

Just looking for a bit of info/advice on Kata Beach vs. Karon Beach. We are planning a trip to Thailand early next year and for the last week plan to stay in the Phuket area; either Kata or Karon. Can anyone tell me the difference in the beaches (which is nicer/bigger/less crowded), the town areas is there good choice for shopping, restaurants, etc. in both or is one larger than the other. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
494 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kata Beach or Karon Beach

I've only stayed in Karon but I have a sense that the "town" part of Kata is just a little bigger while Karon has the long beach. However, both are very small villages that are almost entirely tourist-oriented. I think Karon has more hotel options that are fairly near the beach, although they're all across the road from it.

You can get a better sense of the location by going to Google Maps and dragging the little yellow man icon onto the map -- any street that turns blue has StreetView.

http://goo.gl/maps/UKjx

Here are a couple of previous threads on this subject:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293920-i5037-k305…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293920-i5037-k266…

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach, Karon
Level Contributor
3,994 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kata Beach or Karon Beach

Kata beach is more cosy with scenic views overlooking the bay and Koh Pu (Crab island). Karon beach is longer with more high rise or large hotel establishments overlooking the beach.

In peak high season both beaches are crowded although I like the southern end of Karon beach as the umbrellas and chairs are not as closely packed as on Kata beach then.

However during the low season I much prefer Kata beach as it is far less crowded and has more atmosphere.

On the whole I prefer Kata as there are plenty of excellent restaurants and some good shopping within walking distance to most hotels.

Either way they are so closely located to each other that you could divide your time between both beaches.

Other smaller, less crowded beaches further down south are Kata Noi and Nai Harn. Both are very pretty and worth a visit.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kata Beach or Karon Beach

Thanks to you both for the great information!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,498 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kata Beach or Karon Beach

I like both Kata and Karon beaches but just hate that Club med takes up most of the premium real estate on Kata beach.

As far as an area for dining and the like, I prefer Kata but Karon has plenty of good choices. Hard to see you going wrong with either choice.

Western Australia
Level Contributor
179 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Kata Beach or Karon Beach

Hope you don't mind me asking a question on your post, it is related to the topic.

We are staying on the tip between Karon and Kata. How far is it to walk into Kata? How long does it take to walk from where we are staying to the southen end of Kata? Just trying to get an idea of how far away restaurants and other things I have read about on the forum are from where we are staying.

Thanks

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
792 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kata Beach or Karon Beach

Njay, hotels on Karon point to Kata Central very close (500m) South to Kata Beach Hotel 1.5 km via beach Rd. Most dining in Kata Beach is about 1.6 km from Karon Point Hope this helps.

Western Australia
Level Contributor
179 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Kata Beach or Karon Beach

Thanks Unclehollywood. People on here are always so willing to give great info, much appreciated. Any recommendations on restaurants to try?

india
Level Contributor
67 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kata Beach or Karon Beach

its better idea to stay in karon near beach area so that u can cover kata beach and patong beach too . in kata will found nice view include karon too.

we did morning and evening walk towords kata from karon beach and did shopping to jungcilon patong beach from karon beach by tuktuk

in karon u will find lots of seafood restaurant and street shopping option .

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kata Beach or Karon Beach

The tip of Kata and Karon is good but a bit of a way into Karon.

As I have lived in Kata 11 years I just find it a bit more of a beach town type feel and am grateful for Club Med. If it was not for Club Med the beach would look like Karon but Kata Beach is much more idyllic as you just see the tress and do not even see the Club Med.

Kata has better restaurants, more boutique shops, live music, WINE CONNECTION which is going to or has like a lounge area and even a dance club upstairs, is smaller and yes cosier.

Also it should be menitoned Kata has a bit ore sophistication on the south end with award wining restaurants and just good restaurants, a beach club (www.Rekataphuket.com)Beach front bars (not in Karon), independent coffee shops and even an art gallery, dive shops, and even an ambulance now on the beach at the Marine center.

So my vote is Kata. Personally I would never live in Karon as it just seems to be lacking some soul.

Phuket
Level Contributor
869 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kata Beach or Karon Beach

I have to agree with Kata_noi on all points. Especially the point about Club Med. It is a shame that they don't have another walkway through their grounds, but Kata Beach would be VERY different if it wasn't for them.

Kata is a little more spread out than Karon and there's more choice of restaurants and bars of all different styles. I think the market at Karon Temple is better than Kata market, but it's easy to get to Karon by taxi or tuk-tuk.

Get answers to your questions about Kata Beach
Recent Conversations