We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timer asking silly questions

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
First timer asking silly questions

I have never been to Phuket and will be traveling in Nov, staying at Metadee resort in Kata. Please share with me ideas of things to do around Kata. Such as good local restaurants, shopping and most importantly massage/spa! (not the very expensive ones)

I read you can rent chairs on the kata beach and get massage there. should I take beach towels with me? Is it easy to buy food and drinks on the beach? Will the massage lady come to you or will you need to go look for them? What is the price range?

Any other information will be appreciated. Thank you.

Livingston, United...
Level Contributor
613 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First timer asking silly questions

Have no info on massage ,but one can buy drink from vendors directly on kata beach, at the lower end, next to the ska bar are two restaurants selling very good inexpensive food.You are only mins away from a variety of restaurants .My advice is to hire a driver for the day, seeing the sights,, big bhudda ,,viewpoints, shopping centres.Ours picked us up at 8.30 am returning at 4.30 pm costing 800 baht.Were going this week for 12 nights , our second visit.Ul love it. greetings from Scotland

Phuket Town...
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First timer asking silly questions

On Kata beach you can have all you need just on your reach. There is a beach massage locate under shade of big tree. So, you can see them easily. Yes, you need to bring your own towel (from your hotel)

It a lot of things to do day and night in the area and near by area such as Karon Beach is walking distance. BTW it one of the most convenience area do get all thing.

Mandurah, WA
Level Contributor
110 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First timer asking silly questions

I am flying in tomorrow and staying at the Metadee with my partner. I will post a JBR at the end and let you know where we went.

I always recommend going to Mom Tris in Kata for a snack or meal and the awesome view. Also the Dino Golf Park is great.

I will be scoping the place for massage pans and spas so will update on that also ;)

Louise

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,812 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First timer asking silly questions

Hi

Shopping is better in Patong and worth getting a tuk tuk to walk round.

You will find restuarants and bars all along the beach roads in Kata - mostly very resonably priced. If you want a posh meal then the Boathouse or Mom Tris.

There are cheap massages everywhere, on the beach and in shops. Find one that appeals to you. You can't but help find the massage places. However good ones have to be sort out! 250thb is a very average price, but you can pay more. Its all very easy!

Sunbeds and umbrellas for rent on the beach 100thb a day per bed. They will arrange food and drink if you want.

Don't take your towels, either your hotel will provide them or buy them cheaply in the shops!

What to do? Hey so much. Hire a driver for a day tour, Phuket Sail Tours [several tours worth doing but book early], a cooking course, a snorkel trip to Karon beach with Phuket Scuba Club, a night out in Patong . . . ..

Have a read of JBR / trip reports, the FAQs --->> and Things to do <<---

see what appeals!

Have fun!!

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
87 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First timer asking silly questions

try Darin massage upstairs across road from kata beach resort,we tried a few but this one was far nicer,

With air con,and fantastic massage ,pretty much same price as the others, had a facial here too, it was good!

Second for ska bar and kata BBQ in the southern beach corner. Mama seafood on the beach next door to these 2,was awful, badly overcooked seafood and they stuffed up our bill,so check it if you do go.

On the other hand mamas on the restaurant street with cafe opera was fantastic! Outdoor restaurant ( across from horngrill ) was very good too,often very busy which is a good sign.

Can't go past boathouse or moms tri ,if you want to spend a bit more or something special.

Happy holidays

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
90 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First timer asking silly questions

HI

you will love the Metadee with it pool and canal systems, has a nice deep pool that will be at least cool, watch out for the mozzies that linger in the shadded area.

staff are good - we normally rocked up to happy hour then actually ate in at the restaurant at the resort which is next to the bar and pool area, mind you we were normally smashed after happy hour.!!!!!!!!!!!

just remember to catch the buggy from the metadee to the street - only 5 min walk - but on a hot day with all the concrete driveway, plus they have a phone at the end u can ring for pick up.

as the above have said - once you start walking down street turn left you will see "heaps" on venues.

the bar staff are excellent at Metadee - check review out on tripadvisor.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,813 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First timer asking silly questions

We prefer Tum Rub to massages on the beach - depends what you like. We actually like a bit os A/C in the heat of the day and the girls are great. There are heaps of places to eat - try and get up to After the Beach of Small View point at sunset at least for drinks. As mentioned don't take towels the hotel will have them. On the beach you will be offered everything. If not interested just say no thanks. Agree with Travelingmitch - for a nice meal go to Boathouse or Villa Royale. For italian I can recommend LaCapannina. Don't forget to take your laundry to a local shop.

Never been to Metadee but we love Kata.

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach, Karon
Level Contributor
3,999 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First timer asking silly questions

Also check out the new Largo Tappas and Wine bar located next to The Horn Grill (another great restaurant).

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First timer asking silly questions

We are staying at the metadee at the moment and despite it raining non stop, really enjoying the stay. The pool is great and is so warm... if you have not already done so, ensure you get a pool access room and the buffet breakfast included.

The staff are great and so is the food and happy hour.

Like others have said, chair and umbrella costs 100 bhat for the day and is great value.

Plenty of restaurants around the place. The Boat House is a must go and massage places are every where :-)

10. Re: First timer asking silly questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2013, 10:15
Get answers to your questions about Kata Beach
Recent Conversations