We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

January Honeymoon - Kata or Karon?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
6 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
January Honeymoon - Kata or Karon?

My fiancée and I had all but decided we'd be honeymooning at the Shore @ Katathani, but I was literally told by a colleague this afternoon that I should take a look at Karon as well. So, here I am! We're flexible with our budget to an extent, but we won't stay anywhere more expensive than Shore. Looking to stay for 10-12 nights, and we don't like being tied to resorts - we're more likely to eat and drink away from the hotel a majority of the time.

Any help much appreciated!

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Karon
Karon
Phuket, Thailand
Italy
Level Contributor
39,682 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: January Honeymoon - Kata or Karon?

The Katathani is a lovely hotel but there's not much outside the hotel so you need to get transport to Kata or Patong in the evenings for a better choice of restaurants, but the good thing is that it is directly on the beach and not many other hotels are in Phuket.

Mentioned in this post
Kata Beach
Kata Beach
Phuket, Thailand
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
Queensland...
Level Contributor
725 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: January Honeymoon - Kata or Karon?

Have a look at The Old Phuket in Karon. The hotel is in a great location with some terrific restaurants on your door step (Gind & Bai Toey among my favs). The Pool Access rooms are fabulous, the staff are great (speak good english), breakfasts are ample with a good selection and the grounds are well maintained.

You can walk into Kata (from Karon) lovely stroll along the beach road and a tuk tuk to Patong is 400baht. There's plentty of nice restaurants, bars and shops up near the Karon Circle - the Karon Night Markets (in temple grounds) are great for picking up some bargains. Karon would be my choice.

Mentioned in this post
Karon
Karon
Phuket, Thailand
Kata Beach
Kata Beach
Phuket, Thailand
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
20 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: January Honeymoon - Kata or Karon?

Hi

I went to the shore for our honeymoon and I dont think that you can find a better place. You can read all the posts and feedback about it and its all true.

The private pool with ocean view is just amazing and worth it.

As for the distance to restaurants, yes you need to walk a bit (1-1.5 miles) or take a taxi to reach it.

On my last day there it was my bd too so during breakfast the restuarant staff brought cake a sang for me. A REAL LIFE TIME EXPERIENCE. .

Melbourne
Level Contributor
6 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: January Honeymoon - Kata or Karon?

Thanks ymm - we're all booked in at The Shore! 10 nights of bliss...

Level Contributor
20 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: January Honeymoon - Kata or Karon?

As for restaurants:

Try the fisherman wharf in the katathani hotel, a short walking distance from the shore and try the flammable or burning fish platter.

On the opposite side of the Kata beach there is cliff with a nice restaurant called Mom Tri Kitchen, with a wide variety of international and Thai cuisine... very nice.

As for villas the shore villas are in 5 levels, we were in 8821 the second level and it was amazing yet I would have preferred to stay in the third level as I love panoramic views. So ask them for third to the middle (in order not to be obstructed by trees).

Congratulations and happy marriage.

Mentioned in this post
Kata Beach
Kata Beach
6,543 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: January Honeymoon - Kata or Karon?

I prefer the beach at Kata noi and Kata to the beach at Karon. Although Kata noi is a few minutes from Kata center ( by tuk tuk). And yes 200 baht for a 2 minute ride seems expensive. But hey your in Phuket !. Not the cheapest part of Thailand but sooooo beautiful.

Mentioned in this post
Kata Noi Beach
Kata Noi Beach
2,425 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Kata Beach
Kata Beach
Phuket, Thailand
Karon
Karon
Phuket, Thailand
7. Re: January Honeymoon - Kata or Karon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2014, 04:17
Get answers to your questions about Kata Beach