We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Karon vs Kata

1 post
Save Topic
Karon vs Kata

Hi, myself and my twin 3 1/2 old daughters are heading to Thailand in mid November for a 3 week holiday. I want to base ourselves in either Karon or Kata in reasonable accomodation on the beach and near good cheap thai style restuarants. Does anyone have an opinion on which beach is the better and any recommended resorts that are kid friendly? Thanks for your help!!!

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Karon vs Kata

We prefer Kata but that's probably because it was the first place we stayed and have always gone back there, the Kata Beach resort would be a good option but if you did decide on Karon then the Centara properties are both good options for families.

Phuket Town...
Level Contributor
2,590 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Karon vs Kata

I would also prefer Kata over Karon. I like the beach better, think it is more family friendly. But Karon is also nice. I can recommend Kata Beach Resort. If you go to Karon, then maybe try the sister hotel of Kata Beach resort, which is Karon Beach Resort.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
59 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Karon vs Kata

IMO Kata Beach is better than Karon but they are equally nice. I stayed in Kata for a week and there were many family tourists around. I didn't stay at a "resort" but the hotel I stayed at was very pleasant, within walking distance to the beach, and had lots of shops/restaurants nearby. The hotel was called Sugar Palm Resort. There were some large resorts within a block of this hotel. I don't remember all the names but one was Malisa Villa Suites and the other was Kata Beach Resort.

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
23 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Karon vs Kata

Kata Beach is definitely better for little kids. When the moon is full the tides are big in both places, but I found the currents at Karon to be way stronger, and I can't imagine you would have fun trying to avoid your little ones from getting wiped out. :)

Kata has a lot of excellent restaurants the entire way along the main road. Our favourite was a place called Tomato Restaurant. Don't forget to venture onto Koktanod Road as there are fantastic restaurants there and it's quieter. We loved Outdoor Restaurant which is opposite the Horn Grill Steakhouse on the corner, but there are many other fantastic ones. We stayed at Tropical Garden Resort and there are great restaurants all the way along up til that resort. Kata BBQ in the laneway across from Tropical Garden Resort is fantastic and has a great view of the beach.

As for which resorts are kid friendly, I can't really advise as we were travelling as a couple, but the kids at our resort seemed to all be enjoying themselves. (There was no kids club though).

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,037 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Karon vs Kata

Kata. We like Kata better than Karon; it has a nicer feel to it, and a nicer bay. Stay Kata Beach Resort as it's central to a lot of what's on offer in Kata, and right on the beach. Because of Club Med hogging most of the Kata beachfront, many hotels don't have such good beach access and I figure you don't want to walk too far with under 4's in tow. Don't recall a kids club at KBR, there might be one, but they can be hit and miss anyway. Karon, the ocean can be rougher, but we've been there when it was just as calm as Kata. Other days, Kata was fine and Karon was a bit rough. Not sure what November is like as we've never been in November. Many drownings every year in Phuket so always treat the ocean with respect.

For sure someone will suggest Katathani, and it is a better hotel than KBR, with better pools and better grounds, but you can't beat KBR's location. Katathani is the next beach along. Unless you plan to spend most of your time at the hotel, Katathani, you will always be taking tuk tuks into Kata. No big deal, as long as you are prepared for it.

Only other consideration is the Hotel deal you get. If it's a far better hotel for the same coin, I'd stay Karon. Nothing wrong with Karon. Other than Kata is better ;).

Edited: 15 September 2013, 15:32
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
93 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Karon vs Kata

I arrived in Phuket today and was excited to see Karon but disliked it and loved Kata Beach better. We are in Patong up the mountains

Bangkok
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Karon vs Kata

Plenty of kids friendly resorts, Centara have several, in Kata the Centara Kata, in Karon the Centara Karon Resort of the more pricey Centara Grand Beach Resort. Plus lots of others, depends on your budget

8. Re: Karon vs Kata

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Kata Beach
Recent Conversations