We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avista Phuket Resort & Spa

Which Kata Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Central Scotland
Level Contributor
81 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Avista Phuket Resort & Spa

Hi,

Travelling to Thailand with my wife and 18 month old son for three weeks in November this year, and Phuket is definitely a place we will be staying. I've narrowed it down to Kata as there seems to be a bit going on at night, without being as lively as Patong. However, not far from Patong (and Karon!).

Has anyone stayed here? Is it suitable for a young family? All reviews seem positive for families.

I personally would prefer a beach resort (actually on the beach), however my wife would prefer to stay in a Tsunami safe hotel. Understandably.

This seems to be a Tsunami safe hotel. I know it's very unlikely but safety is paramount since we'll be travelling with our son.

Before I book, can anyone confirm what is close by;

Restaurants

Attractions

Shops / markets / bazaars

Anything else worth mentioning?

The plan is to visit both Karon and Patong while we're in Phuket, however, based on reviews I think Kata would be a good place to stay.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,382 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avista Phuket Resort & Spa

Hi,

Ask your wife how many Tsunamis have hit Phuket since 2004 and how many before that.

Then you can decide if organising your vacation around the highly unlikely event of a tsunami (similar odds to winning the lotto jackpot) is really worth all the hassle and worry.

Kata is a good choice. Avista is located on a hill. Some people whinge about the hill but it's not as bad as the 'unfit' reviewers choose to make out.

Plenty of shops, restaurants and bars in the vicinity. Markets - Karon Temple, OTOP in Patong and there's also Phuket Town for your shopping desires.

Cheers

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avista Phuket Resort & Spa

Will be staying with my wife and son at Avista this coming Nov as well! We decided on this hotel due to it's good location (near to both beach and f&b outlets). Reviews of hotel quality also seem very positive. Hope we both made a good choice.

Johannesburg
Level Contributor
167 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avista Phuket Resort & Spa

Fantastic hotel , lovely pool area, exceptional service and rooms. Yes the hill is a bit of a walk especially with small children but it is manageable.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avista Phuket Resort & Spa

If it will give your wife peace of mind then this is a good option and it has a nice pool area for your son.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
967 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Avista Phuket Resort & Spa

We are currently staying at the avista and there are lots of families I think we are out numbered by children. The resort is in a great location with various restaurants and shops minutes away literally walk out the resort and turn left and they're right there. You turn left and the beach is right there, not to mention there's a shuttle several times a day for free. There's also a shuttle to Patong at 12 and 5pm with pick up for free. The resort is on a bit of a hill so you are safe from tsunamis. There's no need to get nasty with people who fear tsunamis, I live on the west coast of Canada and we get evacuation alerts every few month more so with all the recent quakes and it freaks me out. I also choose to live in an area above the flood plane for this very reason.

If you have questions about the avista let me know as I'm on the property! cheers!

Central Scotland
Level Contributor
81 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Avista Phuket Resort & Spa

meeko_2011 - Is the hotel of good standards in terms of cleanliness etc? How's the food? Good location for things to do at night?

Central Scotland
Level Contributor
81 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Avista Phuket Resort & Spa

OK, I have now booked the Avista 19th - 27th November. I think we've made a good choice.

Any other information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,382 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Avista Phuket Resort & Spa

Hi Meeko,

I was just looking at it from my perspective and commenting accordingly ( from someone who has lived on the coast all of their life). Of course everyone is free to do as they please but to plan a holiday around the remote possibility of a tsunami occurring, is IMO, taking things to the extreme. I was merely trying to offer my perspective while attempting to put the OP's mind at ease. Anyway, I maintain that planning around the highly remote possibility of a natural disaster but in particular a tsunami, is akin to to hiring bodyguards in anticipation of winning big in powerball.

Each to their own! Have a great trip.

Cheers.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Avista Phuket Resort & Spa

I too wouldn't plan your trip around a tsunami. Honestly, you have more chance of getting killed on the way to the airport in a car crash than you do of getting killed by a tsunami. I wouldn't let it effect your plans, life is just too short to be worried about the absolute remote of possibilities.

If you do decide on Avista, I think you will be pleased. Friends of ours stayed there and said the resort was nice, but the location is a big far (being on a hill etc).

Central Scotland
Level Contributor
81 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Avista Phuket Resort & Spa

Thanks for the replies.

I personally am not too concerned, however it puts my wife's mind at ease which in turn, makes life easier for me! :-)

Good views from the hotel anyway by the looks of the photos.

Get answers to your questions about Kata Beach