We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

money exchange patong

Which Kata Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lake Munmorah...
5 posts
Save Topic
money exchange patong

can anyone recommend a honest money exchanger in patong area thanks

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Phuket
Level Contributor
2,066 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: money exchange patong

Hi there,

Most of the money changers are in professional booths and are situated every 50 Meters around Patong Beach, we have never had an issue in many trips there. They all have cameras in the booth and most have the rates on a digital screen so you know what the rate is. Just count the money back in front of them before you leave and you should not have a problem.

Cheers, Pete

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: money exchange patong

You will have no problem with the money exchange in Phuket. As with Peter I always count the money before leaving the counter, but have found them to be very honest. Even the little tiny ones are great and often have the best rate. Last year I handed over $300 to get changed and the girl came back saying no no madame you gave me $350, she could have easily kept it and not been honest cause I had no idea

Michelle

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
1,503 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: money exchange patong

They are not like the money exchange in Bali.

Linda

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,313 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: money exchange patong

I believe all of the exchange booths are run by the banks so as Linda says you don't have the exchange issues you have in Bali. We have never had a problem in 6 trips. As the others have said just count your money before you leave the counter.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
402 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: money exchange patong

That's the problem with changing money after a few sneaky ones Michelle...!!!! ;)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: money exchange patong

Haha CaptainBang, very true

7. Re: money exchange patong

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 April 2014, 09:05
Ningi, Australia
Level Contributor
83 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: money exchange patong

As every one has stated the are very good. Make sure you count your money before you leave the counter. If you withdraw cash from the ATM you get charged by that bank and also get charged an international transaction fee by your bank so we take Aussie dollars every time and make sure we put it straight in the safe when we arrive and just exchange the cash as we need it.

Phuket, Thailand
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: money exchange patong

Most places are fine. Patong is a developed area and the authorities look out for tourists because the economy depends on them

Midlands
Level Contributor
14 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: money exchange patong

I agree with all the posts, there are almost as many money changing booths and ATMs as shops...they are everywhere. When exchanging uk bank notes for bhats one of the booths would not except any notes with writing or sqiggles on...they rejected about 10 notes. I had plenty of cards to use in ATMs as back up but just be aware if taking just cash. I was surprised how many of my uk notes had marks on them.

Get answers to your questions about Kata Beach