We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surfing in October

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Surfing in October

We are returning to Phuket in late October, 2014. My 12 year old son would like to learn to surf. Can anyone give me suggestions/advice where to go. We will be staying in Patong althouygh I believe Kata is the place to hire boardfs etc.

Phuket
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
3,795 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Surfing in October

There are boards for hire in Patong opposite Gracelands Resort at the north end of Patong.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Surfing in October

Kata would be best advice for learning to surf....I have surfed Patong Beach and honestly,it is quite dangerous because of jetskis and the paraflying boats that come close to the beach and heaven help anybody who is surfing in their way....Quite annoying and disappointing even for a seasoned surfer even tho' Patong is an unfavorable surfing beach....Patong occasionally has fair to goodish surfing waves...

Kata has surf rentals and lessons at the southern end....Surf lessons are highly recommended for the young 'un...This way he will be trained properly avoiding bad habits and will help him avoid giving up so quickly from frustration....And it is heaps of fun...!!

They can pick a board which is suitable for him to learn on....Prices are a lot cheaper than home....He will also learn how to read the ocean,rips,currents,wind and tides etc....A fantastic experience of which I am sure he will continue when he arrives home.....When he gets better at surfing,I can advise him of much better breaks in Thailand where he would be thrilled to pieces....

By the way October is officially the final cutoff month for surfing season in Phuket....

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Surfing in October

Thanks very much for your replies. We normally stay at Gracelands although I don't recall seeing any boards for hire. Will make sure I keep my eyes open. Kata sounds fun.

Red

4. Re: Surfing in October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Kata Beach
Recent Conversations