We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 week itinerary August 2012

Which Lahad Datu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
89 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
2 week itinerary August 2012

Am planning a trip for husband and myself, am keen to stay at Borneo Rainforest Lodge for hikes, Kinabatangan for boat trips, possibly Sepilok sanctuary and Lankayan Island for turtles and possibly snorkeling. Will be flying from UK, which would be the best order for visiting and staying in places and how long should we spend at each?

Many thanks

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,365 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 week itinerary August 2012

Hi veggieLisa

I will throw in my tuppence-worth!

We did something very very similar in September 2009 and I would recommend:

3 nights Borneo Rainforest Lodge (pay extra for a deluxe chalet with outdoor bathtub) (Many people stay here for 2 nights - if you can afford it, do the extra )

2 nights Kinabatangan river (include a dawn and night time boat trip and several river cruises - we saw something new on every trip). You could do a third depending on your arrival/departure time.

2 nights Lankayan for R and R, I did discover scuba here - if you want to do serious diving, you would need to include more nights but there is nothing really to do on the island but relax so I think unless you dive 3 nights would be the maximum time to spend here.

As to when to include Sepilok - we did a 1 night stay here after Kinabatangan and before Lankayan so that we could go to the quieter afternoon session. You could spend another night here and visit the Rainforest Discovery Centre or organise a trip to Labuk Bay Proboscis sanctuary from here. But we did also have the chance after Lankayan to visit the sanctuary on our way to our afternoon flight. We decided against it and instead enjoyed a complimentary lunch at the Nature Resort.

I would definitely do Lankayan after the jungle for some R&R! Our order was KK-BRL (the lodge's collection times co-ordinate with flights from KK), BRL-Kinabatangan (via Lahad Datu), Kinabatangan - Sepilok, Sepilok-Lankayan.

We flew from the UK as well and started our trip from Kota Kinabalu which is a good place for a couple of days after a long-haul flight. I would recommend something like thatto catch up on sleep and let your body adjust and unwind before you start early morning flights or early morning jungle treks! With 2 weeks you can do quite a lot - we had a little over that and squeezed in climbing Mt Kinabalu and the famous bat caves at Mulu.

Hope that helps!

Edited: 02 January 2012, 18:10
Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
89 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 week itinerary August 2012

wow thanks for all the info,

how did you travel from Kinabatangan to Sepilok?

Did you stay over in Seipilok?

How did you travel from Sepilok to Lankayan?

Do you think it's worth visiting Lankayan if like me you're afraid of deep water, might manage snorkelling only!

And finally how did you get back to KK from Lankayan?

Sorry for so many questions but have spent hours and hours researching and finally feel i'm getting somewhere!!

Thanks

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,365 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 week itinerary August 2012

Hi

1. We stayed at Kinabatangan Jungle Camp (basic but great for wildlife viewing) for 2 nights and then Sepilok Forest Edge Resort for 1 night. These are actually owned by a couple - Robert Chong runs the KJC and his wife Annie runs SFER. We asked them to arrange transport between the two and so this was easily done.

2. Yes - we stayed 1 night at SFER

3. We booked Lankayan through divedownbelow (although I think it would be the same if you book directly with Lankayan dive island resort) and the price included a pick up from Sepilok. We asked if they could pick up at SFER and there was no problem. All the lodges at Sepilok are very close to each other so there was no extra charge.

4. Yes - for the lovely desert island experience and you do feel a bit grubby after the jungle! The water is quite shallow near the shore anyway and the beach chalets are great. We were also lucky and saw a turtle laying 60+ eggs one night and the release of a bucket of hatchlings the next day. It was a great experience. My boyfriend doesn't dive either and he loved it as he could spend the day reading a book in the hammock outside the chalet or swimming to cool off. I wouldn't spend more than 2 nights there though if you don't dive as there is so little to do. You can kayak around the island or snorkel.

5. As with 3, this was part of our Lankayan package. Lankayan Dive Island is part of the group which owns Sepilok Nature Resort and so after we returned from Lankayan, they left us at the resort for a complimentary lunch and also the chance to visit the morning feeding session at the rehabilitation centre. They then picked us up after lunch and transferred us to Sandakan airport for our afternoon flight.

When we were there, both Air Asia and MAS wings flew between Sandakan and KK. We booked the flight directly from the UK ourselves.

Everything was easy - the only complicated bit in our itinerary was getting from BRL to Kinabatangan. We took the scheduled transfer from BRL to LD and then spent the night at Lahad Datu before getting up early the next morning to catch a bus to Sukau where staff from KJC picked us up. Unfortunately for us it was a Sunday and not many people were about but we got a great bus (proper coach) after a 90 minute wait. There really is nothing in Lahad Datu and if I were doing it again, I would have got a morning 9am transfer from BRL to get us to LD before lunch and then got an afternoon minibus to Sukau for an extra night. Or I would see if there was accommodation which would arrange the transfer for us - it might be worth checking out companies such as divedownbelow or Borneo Ecotours for a combined package including BRL, Kinabatangan and maybe Lankayan. No harm in asking!

divedownbelow.com/sabah-travel-centre/…

http://www.borneoecotours.com/

Edited: 02 January 2012, 19:24
Michigamme, Michigan
Level Contributor
1 post
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 week itinerary August 2012

Ill be going at the begin of Aug for 3nights. Its a bit exspensive for the lodge, I think i could packpack across Africa for two months for 3 nights in the rain forrest lodge.... If i was still a back packer I wouldnt look twice at this place. But everything included, letting them take you every where is what Im looking for on this RR.

So the price is worth it then?

5. Re: 2 week itinerary August 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 July 2016, 12:18