We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time to Phuket & our honeymoon, where to stay??

U.K
Level Contributor
25 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
1st time to Phuket & our honeymoon, where to stay??

Our first visit to Thailand and Phuket which will also be our honeymoon bit of our holiday. Our itinerary is 3 days Bangkok, 4 days Chiang Mai, then it can be upto 5 days in Phuket before we go back to Bangkok.

Not sure where to stay Phuket, Karon or Kata, while we are here we plan to do Phang Nga and Phi Phi, I know the wife wants this to be our relaxing bit as we do have quite a busy schedule early on in our holiday so I would like to find a nice hotel close to the beach for her as a surprise however my budget is about £50 a night at the moment but may stretch a bit further, we will be in Phuket on 17th to 21 or 22 March.

Basically we want to be not to close to nightlife but also not miles away, close to beach and within reach of restaurants as I have read there is lots of nice eateries in Karon and Kata. I was advised to stay in Karon as the beach is supposed to be beautiful?? but I expexct most beaches are in Thailand.

Advice appreciated with thanks :)

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time to Phuket & our honeymoon, where to stay??

Karon is a nice enough beach but it's very long and IMO Kata beach is nicer, and Kata itself has a nicer feel about it. £50 a night is not a lot that time of year, but there are half decent places you could stay at. Sugar Palm Grand Hillside (only if you are fit !) is cheap and newish, though not to my taste looks wise. It's within your budget.Just search TA. Much more choice if you can stretch it to £80 a night eg Kata Palm or Centara Karon.

Surin beach could be a good option price wise, with 4 star Courtyard Marriott (around £80 a night) and others offering special deals. Worth checking out.

If you want big pools and lovely grounds, and be on the edge of Patong, you can get a superior (basic) room at Duangjitt for under £80 a night, but do research on room numbers.

As you probably don't really have a favourite, best bet is to stay somewhere that has a special deal going.

Edited: 05 January 2011, 02:00
U.K
Level Contributor
25 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time to Phuket & our honeymoon, where to stay??

Thanks for the tips, after a rethink I have decided to up the budget and try to find somewhere close to the beach after all it is our honeymoon bit....will check out your suggestions though

Hannover, Germany
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time to Phuket & our honeymoon, where to stay??

Karon beach is very very long, if you want to eat around not just in hotel, there some restaurants only north of Karon beach,

I found Kata beach is nicer.

Kata's recomend hotel : Impiana private villas, Mom Tri's Boathaus, Kata beach resort, Sugar Palm Grand Hillside

I hate Phuket Taxi is 5x expensiver as Bangkok's and avoid Patong's Jetski

Kara, Germany

U.K
Level Contributor
25 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time to Phuket & our honeymoon, where to stay??

thanks Kara, will keep in mind your comments on taxis, and check out your suggestions :o)

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time to Phuket & our honeymoon, where to stay??

You could also look at Merlin beach resort which is a bit out of town but has it's own beach and another beach over the road. They have a free shuttle into town but you would need to get a tuk tuk back if going in for dinner.

Also Amari coral beach is walking distance to patong restaurants but it feels like you are miles away once in the resort. If you get a room in block 1 or 4 your balcony if virtually sitting on the ocean. The breakfasts there are to die for. I have never seen such a variety.

Linda

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
183 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st time to Phuket & our honeymoon, where to stay??

I was in Phuket last year, and we stayed at the Mövenpick on Karon Beach. It was absolutely lovely, and I recommend it to everybody. I wrote a pretty thorough review, if you want more info.

While I like the club scene, booze and debauchery, I really had no interest in Patong. Karon is quieter. It's on the southern end of the Island, so it is a bit of a ways from the airport.

Phuket Town...
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st time to Phuket & our honeymoon, where to stay??

Karon Beach may an ideal for your case but, may need more budget for the mentioned period. I would recommend The Front Village where quiet and not a long wlak (5-10 min) to the centre. To me, Karon is the nicest beach. Movenpick is good too but a little old. For honetmoon couple I would say The Village is the best (same with the front Village) it is an idividual villa and not too expensive if campare to other villa style resort (few min walk to beach).

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st time to Phuket & our honeymoon, where to stay??

Impiana private villas ! , Mom Tri's Boathouse ! , Movenpick ! . Or even Kata Beach Resort, Merlin Beach Resort, Amari etc etc. You are not going to get these for £50 a night in March, or even £80 a night.

You might want to revise that budget up a few times if you are looking at those.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
109 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st time to Phuket & our honeymoon, where to stay??

I stayed at Duangjitt for the first couple of nights during my honeymoon and ended the trp at the JW Marriot. I agree, make sure you research room numbers. I cant recall which room i stayed in. But it was fine. i heard there are older rooms in the complex. there is a massage parlor right on the corner (i think it was called dolphin massage). where in the world can you get a 3 hour massage for $20 US!?!?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,834 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st time to Phuket & our honeymoon, where to stay??

Have a look at Manathai Surin beach - about GBP65 per night. I highly recommend it and Surin is beautiful in March.

The other one I would recommend I have only looked at but not stayed in

Sugar Palm Grand Hillside.

I am over 50 (and an ex smoker most of my life) and coped with the walk up the hill fine.

There are still good options at bargin prices.

Get answers to your questions about Karon
Recent Conversations