We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting from karon to phuket town & patong for shopping

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
getting from karon to phuket town & patong for shopping

Hi... staying at centara karon for 2 weeks in july, 5 adults 2 kids (2 and 6) would like some advice on best ways to travel from karon to patong and phuket town for shopping..... Tuk Tuks (will we all fit into 1?) and also, is phuket town better for shopping for clothes (adults and Girls size 2 and boys size 6??) or can u get the same things in patong? which areas are cheapest for shopping?

Thanks, any advice is appreciated :)

Amorns Tailors
Gift & Speciality Shops
Tailor Pro
Gift & Speciality Shops
Nordic Fashion
Gift & Speciality Shops
Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: getting from karon to phuket town & patong for shopping

Hi

Yes you will all fit into a Tuk Tuk, other than that there are minivans if you aren't comfortable in the Tuk Tuk, make sure you agree on a price before you go anywhere I'm going to guess 250-300baht for Karon to Patong. We didn't really shop in Phuket town as we preferred Patong, I have nieces and nephews to buy for and I had no trouble getting them clothes. Patong is apparently built for tourists so things are more expensive for travelers and the locals don't shop here but for what you pay as opposed to home it's cheap for us Aussies. There were times when we bartered really hard and then realised that it's $2 or $3 your bartering for and when we came across someone we liked we were happy to pay that bit extra.

Hope this helps

Queensland
Level Contributor
483 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: getting from karon to phuket town & patong for shopping

Hi - a cheap option from Karon to Phuket Town is the Blue Baht Bus which was 30baht. You can catch it basically anywhere along the beach road in Karon just by flagging it down - if you're staying at Centara near the Karon Circle you should be able to catch it from the main road right near there.

I love shopping at the Phuket Town Weekend Night Markets - great specials! If you are hiring a driver for a day - try and include this as part of it as the driver will wait for you while you shop then take you back to your hotel or out to dinner. There are some local markets in the temple grounds in Karon too - these are good we got Billabong Tshirts for $1AUD.

Patong - I'd probably take a tuk tuk (was 300baht) and about 10 minutes but if it's for shopping - I got better prices at the Karon Markets - along the beach road as if you were heading to Kata.

Hope the above helps.

Penang Island...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: getting from karon to phuket town & patong for shopping

Hi, my hubby and I will be staying in Centara Karon resort in July 8-11 for 4 days. Our son from Melbourne went to Phuket last Dec with his family. He advised us to shop at Phuket town which things are cheaper there. See you there. Hannah

Penang Island...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: getting from karon to phuket town & patong for shopping

Hi, my hubby and I will be staying in Centara Karon resort in July 8-11 for 4 days. Our son from Melbourne went to Phuket last Dec with his family. He advised us to shop at Phuket town which things are cheaper there. See you there. Hannah

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: getting from karon to phuket town & patong for shopping

Hi Hannah.

I've heard the same, so will be heading to phuket town for some bargains for sure. Apparently patong shopping is aimed at tourists and phuket is more aimed at the locals hence the "touristy" prices in patong. All in all will be checking out most places to be sure to get the best bargains! Will you just get a tuk tuk all the way into phuket town for shopping or arange other transport?

See u there!

Kelly

melbourne australia
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: getting from karon to phuket town & patong for shopping

Billabong Tshirts for $1AUD ? That's like 30 baht. Very cheap. Best we could manage in Patong was 130 baht.

Best thing to do is to organise a driver for basically the whole day, and combine shopping in Phuket Town with a little sight seeing. But you may find that after shopping in Patong, you don't need anything else.

We found Karon a lot harder to get cheap tuk tuk prices in than Patong. In Patong we paid 400 baht for 4-5 hour tuk tuk hire; in Karon we paid 800 baht for the same thing. They just wouldn't budge. In both cases it involved visiting places where they got fuel vouchers, but they were places we wanted to visit anyway eg jewellery stores, pewter factory, cachew store.

We visited 3 or 4 different shopping areas in Phuket Town, and our driver would wait for us. For us, on that trip, it was worth it because we found clothes we liked better to what there was in Patong. That's not always the case. Central and one other were good, the other two were a waste of time. Especially the one that was supposed to be the cheapest. It was the cheapest, but it was like visiting the $2 shop or K-Mart.

Edited: 12 June 2011, 04:37
Penang Island...
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: getting from karon to phuket town & patong for shopping

Hi Kelly,

Thanks for your reply. We reach Phuket on the late afternoon on 8 July. We planned to take an island tour to Phi Phi Island on 9 July. And we planned to go to Phuket town. The rest of the evening will be Patong town and Karon town.

I think we will take tuk tuk or we can join you folks to take a van. Whic dates of July will you be there?

Hannah

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: getting from karon to phuket town & patong for shopping

Hi Hannah.

We arrive on the 29th June and are there for two weeks! So lots of shopping to be done.... We have a group of 7 all up- 5 adults and two kids so not sure of transport yet, hoping we can all fit in the 1 Tuk Tuk or van :)

Im sure we'll see each other there! I'll be by the kids pool at happy hr :-)

Kelly

Penang Island...
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: getting from karon to phuket town & patong for shopping

Hi Kelly,

Thanks for your reply again. We booked the superior sea view room and hope to have a view of the ocean. Our checked in last names will be Quah and Loh just in case we can't locate you. We are from Penang also a very beautiful small island in Malaysia. Maybe, one day you and family can come to visit Penang.

God bless and see you soon....Hannah & Caleb

chigwell, essex. uk
Level Contributor
1,312 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: getting from karon to phuket town & patong for shopping

How much would a taxi cost for a whole day and what kind of hours would you expect that to be a the most?

So it costs around 400 Bhat for a single trip into Patong from Karon, but you can hire a Tuk Tuk for many hours for only 8oo Bhat...it's all so confusing.

Lorraine

First Timer to Thailand

Edited: 13 August 2011, 13:30