We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiring a car to tour island

Level Contributor
62 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Hiring a car to tour island

Hi all

We are thinking of hiring a car to tour the island as a bit worried about the safety of hiring mopeds. Has anyone done this, if so is it worth it and roughly how much, or would we be better just hiring a driver?

India
Level Contributor
363 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiring a car to tour island

..........drivin in thailand , for me is a breeze...maybe coz i'm from india n it's crazy up here .........most wud not agree with me though!..........but it's definitely better than a moped.......seen a fair share of accidents involving mopeds , mostly involving tourists......so wud suggest u stick to a car.........drivin is on the left like the uk....so won't be much of a problem.........car rentals range from BHT1000 - BHT1400 for a midsized saloon ( andaman car rent, avis , budget)........make sure the car has " full insurance"...the above mentioned companies do have it but read the fine print before u sign the contract........car with a driver wud hover around the BHT2400 mark......

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiring a car to tour island

Definitly hire a car and driver. One of the most dangerous things you can do in Thailand is to ride a motorbike. Go to the Phuket forum page and take a look at the top questions - license requirements.

Level Contributor
62 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiring a car to tour island

Hi

Thanks Islaparadis and bbtony, yes thought car hire was a better option. We would prefer the freedom of driving ourselves though so just need to sort out international permit just in case.

Thanks again, can't wait!!!!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiring a car to tour island

Some drivers keep to the left as in the UK, others drive on the right, in the middle or anywhere that suits them. There are some sharp bends and accidents are common. Make sure you get 1st class insurance (fully comp).

johannesburg
Level Contributor
377 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiring a car to tour island

Book with one of the larger companies (avis,budget,hertz etc) . I chose budget for my trip in 13 days time. I believe driving in phuket is not too bad.. Drive carefully..and just be observant and u should be fine

Darwin
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiring a car to tour island

We always hire a car for a few days when in Phuket. We also just like the freedom and have had heaps of experience with drivers in Asia trying to get you to go to their friend or relatives shop - which after a while is just tiring!

We hire from Andaman Car Hire and there has never been a problem, although this year they have been a little slow in answering emails.

Lou

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
4,374 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiring a car to tour island

Hire a driver, same price as you pay to hire the car and you have someone who know where they are going!!! You can also enjoy the sights instead of worrying about traffic.

Michelle

Level Contributor
62 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hiring a car to tour island

Hi Lou and Paul

I noticed you are booking before you go, are there advantages in that, is it cheaper or are you picking car up at airport? We were thinking of one just for a couple of days and picking up locally, what do you think?

Also any recommendations of where to go?

Apologies for all the questions

Thanks in advance

Janet

Callala bay
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Hiring a car to tour island

I recomend hiring a driver , do the tour thing one day and then hire him for another just to cruise for $60 a day sunup to sunset or later its a bargain , We found Daj, he had an airconed van very comfortable and great local knowledge , he was happy to chill while we swam at various wow coves and beaches he even showed us baby elephants just in a paddock which we played with for an hour !! so much fun and your helping the locals !

kiz

10. Re: Hiring a car to tour island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 15:17