We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Karon or Kata Beach and is Centara Grand a good idea?

Which Karon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Delhi, India
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Karon or Kata Beach and is Centara Grand a good idea?

I'm looking to book my parents a stay in Phuket for 3 days for their 25th wedding anniversary - they're going to travel in March next year. I'm so confused about where to book them!

I was thinking of booking them at the Paresa, Kamala beach to begin with the reviews here suggest that it's fairly isolated with not much to do around. My dad's a big foodie and loves the beach, so he would hate that! I've left out the resorts at Mai Khao (Le Meridien, Renaissance etc. for the same reason).

I'm looking for something less isolated, but pretty, and something that would still give them privacy (and a FAB buffet breakfast because that's my dad's non-negotiable for any family holiday I have ever been on) - I've zeroed in on the Centara Grand at Karon beach, but now unsure (yet) again! Anyone got some tips / ideas? Would Kata beach be a better location?

My budget is at 10-13K baht a night for the hotel.

Phuket
Level Contributor
868 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Karon or Kata Beach and is Centara Grand a good idea?

Kata Noi is beautiful and very secluded. Kata Thani is right on the beach or Villa Royale is on the headland at the Northern end of the beach. Both excellent hotels. Villa Royale has a fantastic restaurant.

The drawback is that there aren't many restaurants aroundKata Noi but It's close to Kata, maybe a 10 to 15 minute stroll, or a taxi ride if they don't like the hill!

I have no idea what their breakfasts are like though!

Delhi, India
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Karon or Kata Beach and is Centara Grand a good idea?

Thanks so much! What's your view on Centara Grand though?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Karon or Kata Beach and is Centara Grand a good idea?

We stayed at Centara Grand recently and definitely intend to stay there again!

Location is great, walkable (10min stroll along beach) to karon. Night time after dinner you'd need a tuk tuk back to hotel.

The restaurants at CG are lovely, there's an Italian and a themed buffet style one... Pricey but good.

'The Club' serves canapé's throughout the day if you choose a room with club access. Worth it if you would use it.

There's a beach restaurant 100m from hotel with delicious and really cheap Thai food. We ate there frequently.

I wouldnt base myself at this hotel for food... But for a great

4.5 star hotel, fantastic pools, beach access and location.

Happy planning! Kylie

Melbourne
Level Contributor
294 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Karon or Kata Beach and is Centara Grand a good idea?

another possibility may be that they might prefer a smaller intimate hotel. have a look at Villa Elisabeth at Kata beach. It is right on the beach. We stayed there recently and are going back next year. Prices were reasonable and the breakfast; although not a buffet was more than enough.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
764 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Karon or Kata Beach and is Centara Grand a good idea?

Another option in Karon, within walking distance of restaurants, markets etc and with an awesome buffet breakfast is the Movenpick. Check out the plunge pool villas

Andy

Delhi, India
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Karon or Kata Beach and is Centara Grand a good idea?

@ Kand: Thanks for the review on Centara! That makes me feel a lot more confident - I was looking to book a pool suite, I don't know if that would entitle them to club privileges?

@ kymandy: Actually that was the other hotel I was interested in, but from whatever pictures I saw on TA I thought maybe Centara was more scenic? I also kind of got the idea that the pools in the rooms at Centara were bigger than the ones at Moevenpick? Would you / anyone have any idea about that?

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Karon or Kata Beach and is Centara Grand a good idea?

The big plus ( some many ) is that centara Grand is in fact 'on the beach', it is the only one 'on the beach' at Karon apart from the Karon Beach Resort which is at the south end, Centara Karon is at the north end.

Some people are happy being in a resort hotel across a beach road, others want to be right on the beach.

My opinion would be go for the Centara Grand if they want a true on the beach place. As you have said your Dad loves the beach, so on that I would go for Centara Grand

Edited: 30 November 2011, 19:20
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
764 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Karon or Kata Beach and is Centara Grand a good idea?

The plunge pols at the Movenpick are only small, they are designed for a couple to sit in on a hot day/evening enjoying a quiet drink. They overlook a lagoon. There are a number of larger pools in the resort including one with the ubiquitous swim-up bar. The resort is built around magnificent tropical gardens, we spent many a morning strolling around them. The resort is not on the beach, there is a road just outside the resort that must be crossed.

Andy

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
793 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Karon or Kata Beach and is Centara Grand a good idea?

What about a pool access room at the Kata Beach Resort it is right on the beach, lots of restaurants very close and a lovely beach. Just had a look and the Grand Pool Access rooms are 9,000bht per night in March. Looks lovely.

Cheers, Karen

Delhi, India
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Karon or Kata Beach and is Centara Grand a good idea?

Definitely, that resort looks beautiful. Any idea about Villa Zolitude btw? I wrote to them, and they have a great deal on offer for couples - but it seems to be located in quite an isolated area (maybe that's part of the charm) that makes it difficult to access livelier parts of town.