We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How far can you walk

Cardiff
Level Contributor
89 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
How far can you walk

Basically I'm asking how far can you walk in Karon, can you get to any of the main attractions, I've read that some are 4,5,and 6 kilometers away, and I know its a good walk, but not something I'd be against, is it possible to do that in Karon.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How far can you walk

Yes...It is possible to walk say from Karon Beach to say Fantasea in Kamala...

However,this would be akin to a marathon walk in my opinion but doable....

Same as say walking from Karon to Wat Chalong....It is doable but you have to be really keen...

Especially if you are walking during daylight hours as the sun can get quite hot.

Take plenty of water when walking and sunscreen and hat....

I find walking from Horizon Resort/Karon at the southern end to Karon beach markets towards the middle of the beach far enough to walk before I begin to dehydrate....

The distance might not get to you but the heat will....!!...And if it rains it's a blessing...!!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,439 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How far can you walk

The humidity and sun just drains me of energy after a while. Mind you I'm an old fart. I normally walk from one end of Patong beach and back every morning but that's early before the heat gets into the day. As above, take plenty of water and wear a hat.

Penrith, Australia
Level Contributor
209 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How far can you walk

Google Jamie's Phuket and check out his blog. He has detailed directions on a walk from Karon to the big Buddha.

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
494 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How far can you walk

I was going to say ... Karon to Kata is no big deal but Karon to Patong involves a big hill and no safe walkway. Better cough up the ransom to the tuktuk mafia.

Then I did as Holmesy suggested:

…blogspot.com/2010/02/hike-from-karon-beach-…

I am humbled.

Cardiff
Level Contributor
89 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How far can you walk

Cheers for the replys guys, I've looked on Jamie's blog, and it's something I'd be dead keen to try, not too sure the Mrs would feel quite the same way. I learned the hard way about the sun cream after going out on an unplanned walk in Cancun last year, burnt to a crisp, so I'll be sure to take your into on board if I challenge a long walk from Karon Beach, cheers again guys.

Cardiff
Level Contributor
89 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How far can you walk

Cheers for the replys guys, I've looked on Jamie's blog, and it's something I'd be dead keen to try, not too sure the Mrs would feel quite the same way. I learned the hard way about the sun cream after going out on an unplanned walk in Cancun last year, burnt to a crisp, so I'll be sure to take your into on board if I challenge a long walk from Karon Beach, cheers again guys.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5,818 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How far can you walk

There is no way anyone would want to walk from Karon to Fantasea, it is about 20 ks., would take 3 to 4 hours.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How far can you walk

As I said Nairobi...It would be a marathon....!!....And Fantasea is an attraction...!!

9. Re: How far can you walk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 16:16