We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Few question about Karon

UK
Level Contributor
53 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Few question about Karon

Hello,

We are thinking about buying holidays in Karon (the Old Phuket hotel), can you please tell me what are the prices in restuarants in Karon - as I heard Thailand is quite cheap regarding to eating out, but does it apply to Karon as well?

Money wise, is is better to buy currency in UK, or exchange in Karon , is there a cash machine there?

Thanks

Kris

Rawai Beach, Phuket
Destination Expert
for Phuket
Level Contributor
895 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Few question about Karon

It is of my opinion that Karon is perhaps the most expensive part of Phuket for restaurants. But still possibly cheaper than where you come from.

Phuket town, Rawai, Chalong, better quality food at cheaper prices IMO.

THere are plenty of ATM machines and exchange booths throughout Karon and Phuket. Change your money here.

UK
Level Contributor
53 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Few question about Karon

I'm from UK, could you give rough price for a diner meal?

Thanks

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
764 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Few question about Karon

Meals are definitely cheaper than where you come from. Most mains will be in the vicinity of 120-150 baht, more expensive for western food though still reasonable. Me and mine generally both ate a main, desert, and a beer or two. Cost was around 600-700 baht, about $20-25AUD. Not sure what that is in sterling

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
764 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Few question about Karon

Also there are plenty of good restaurants just outside of The Old Phuket in the road leading to the beach

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
750 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Few question about Karon

For 3 of us we would pay 600 to 1000 baht for dinner. That includes one child age 10 who eats a small adult meal but more than kids size.

Outside The Old Phuket entrance is a street full of restaurants. We liked Ging the best, followed by Butterfly Bistro. The prices are not super cheap but better than what we pay at home. Serving size is quite big too. Theres a money exchange at the beach end of the same street too. That street was quite handy for us when we stayed at the Woraburi Resort, almost next door. The beach market is not far either. Bit more of a walk to the main street with more restaurants and markets.

Queensland...
Level Contributor
725 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Few question about Karon

Hi Kris - lucky you! We love the Old Phuket Hotel and there are some great restaurants in Karon. I don't find Karon any dearer than eating in Patong or Kata. Ging as already stated is very nice as is Bai Toey (same street, same side of road). Near Karon Circle (the roundabout) Red Onion is great and even better is No Name (next door to Bamboo Pharmacy). Little Mermaid is great for a drink and to people watch, with clean toilets, etc. We usually pay no more than $10AU for a meal and a drink (or two) for two adults. Don't miss out on the After Beach Bar (which is really a fantastic restaurant) with great views especially at sunset (it's next door to Small View which is also quite good). Enjoy

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
10,353 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Few question about Karon

Money - I would change your money when you arrive in Thailand. its nearly always better to change your money in the country you're visiting, rather than in the UK.

There are plenty of ATM's in Karon/Kata/Patong

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Few question about Karon

A.t m is the easiest way to go . Yes there are some fees . But for the safety and convenience, of not having to carry all your spending money with you. It's a no brainer. I know a lot of people will disagree ,which absolutely baffles me. When you spend thousands on a trip . What is 30 dollars in service fees. Note fees are the same no matter the amount you withdraw .So take a few hundred p at a time.

Vientiane, Laos
Level Contributor
106 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Few question about Karon

Karon is definitely cheaper than Patong. However all of Phuket has become quite expensive for food and the quality of the food has definitely deteriorated over the years as food has become westernised.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
229 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Few question about Karon

Around £20 should get two adult plus one child main course including a dessert and a couple of drinks each in a fair number of medium sized restaurants in Karon. You can go upmarket for as much as you like also. On the other hand a street style plastic table n chair / hawker style place can get you a drink and a meal from around £4 to £5. Plenty of choice and don't be afraid to take a look inside before you sit down to place an order. We had good service at almost everywhere we stopped. Enjoy your visit.