We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wine in bars & restaurants

Darwen, England...
Level Contributor
39 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
wine in bars & restaurants

Hi there

We are traveling out to Karon in April, I am not a great Beer or Spirits drinker, I prefer wine Dry Red or White, my question is what are the wines like in general in restaurants and Bars, and are there any labels to be avoided also my wife likes Baileys or Tia Maria are they generally available or are there local equivalents. We appreciate any help you can give.

Regards G

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5,824 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: wine in bars & restaurants

The wine available is probably not the same standard as Australia, but good wines are available but expensive.

Baileys and Tia Maria are available.

I have to say that all the White wine I had was fine.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Phuket
Level Contributor
2,093 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: wine in bars & restaurants

Hi George,

As said Baileys and Tia Maria are available but the wine is very expensive. You can go into the many bottle shops, buy your own wine and take it with you to the restaurants. You can buy good Australian, French, Canadian & Italian wines but expect to pay anywhere between 700 to 2000 Baht for middle of the road bottles.

The Deli supermarket on Rat-U-Thit road (200m north of Nicky's Handlebar Restaurant and Bar) has the largest selection of wine i have seen in Phuket, they also have many different cheese meats and deli lines.

Almost all restaurants will allow to to bring you own but if dinning in the large hotels i would check with them first.

Cheers, Pete

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach, Karon
Level Contributor
3,995 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: wine in bars & restaurants

Unfortunately most of the smaller less expensive establishments do not have good wine at all. Only the top quality restaurants and hotels will have decent wines on their menu....but at exorbitant prices!

I take my bottle of red with me to most of the smaller restaurants etc and it is very rare that I get charged corkage. However most of the the more upmarket restaurants will charge corkage.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,493 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: wine in bars & restaurants

Wine is expensive eveywhere in Thailand because it's imported, a glass of cheap wine will cost about 180 baht and a bottle will start at 700 baht for a house wine, cocktails are fairly cheap and there's a lot of Happy Hour bars.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,493 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: wine in bars & restaurants

Also your wife should buy Baileys or Tia Maria at the duty free and bring it with her.

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach, Karon
Level Contributor
3,995 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: wine in bars & restaurants

On your way from the airport stop at Villa Market near Chalong circle and check out their special offers on wine. I buy some reasonable wines at around 380 baht per bottle. Certainly not the best quality but definitely a lot better than what is served in the bars etc. For special occasions I splurge out on the more expensive wines.

Darwen, England...
Level Contributor
39 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: wine in bars & restaurants

Thank you to everyone who replied we will take onboard your advice :-)

colchester
Level Contributor
598 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: wine in bars & restaurants

Here in the UK we have seen a wine advertised from a winery in Hua Hin called Monsoon Valley. Thinking of ordering a few bottles to try.... It has good ratings. Is it available in Phuket ?

9. Re: wine in bars & restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2014, 07:15