We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much money does anyone carry a day Phuket?

queensland
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Topic
How much money does anyone carry a day Phuket?

Just wondering how much money to draw out of the atm machine per day. Rough idea?

Plus does anyone know the fees for Westpac debit card and Ing direct? (australia)

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
508 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much money does anyone carry a day Phuket?

Hi

I think it would be best to contact your bank and ask them about the fee's, I would be taking out enough money for a few days not just one as the Thai atms will charge you a fee everytime you use a Atm, think it is $5. Are you cards visa or mastercard Debit cards ?. As i have never tryed to use my normal westpac debit card, Dont think that would work myself, but someone else maybe able to answer that.

The amount of money per day will depends on what you plan to do lol if you are shopping you may need lots.

Hope this helps

Cheers Andrew

Darwin
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much money does anyone carry a day Phuket?

Regarding the card fees it depends on which account / package you have with the bank. I would look it up on their individual websites yourself.

With how much money to withdraw this is personal choice on how much money you have on you (in safe or person). I always take say $1500 AUD cash and put in safe after exchanging some. This may seem a lot to others but I have been caught a couple if times not being able to get money out of ATMs as bank lines are down etc... I then would withdraw money from ATM enough for several days at a time ( I have no overseas fees on my NAB account). I probably have a fair amount cash with me at any one time as you never know when you will see that perfect handbang to buy.

Hope this helps.

Lou

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much money does anyone carry a day Phuket?

Take a lump sum out eg $1500 and lock it in your room/hotel safe-- just carry about $100 Aus should be sufficient for drinks eats and a bit of shopping -- if you are going to do tours heavy shopping you may need a bit more but you can always go back to your room and get what you need as you do not want to carry your card with you all the time in case you loose it

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,510 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much money does anyone carry a day Phuket?

Not sure I would want to be hitting the ATM daily.

Cheers.

Mindarie, Australia
Level Contributor
956 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much money does anyone carry a day Phuket?

we are going for 2 weeks and are taking $2000 in cash which will go in the safe normally we change money on a daily basis at the money exchanges but found last time the exchange rate didn't change that much while we were there so this time instead of $100 per day we will exchange more each time. Usually find that 3000 baht each on a daily basis covers us with lots left over just top it up out of safe each day before you go out and it also means that not just one person has all the money. we use our visa debit card for any big transactions like jewellery etc and any expenses from the hotel at the end of our trip

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
378 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much money does anyone carry a day Phuket?

Just take a large sum of money then store in the hotel safe, and use what you need each day etc on a Budget.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,480 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much money does anyone carry a day Phuket?

Don't take all that cash with you!. Just take out a few days worth at a time at A T M . Much safer than wads of cash . Yes you pay fees but when you spend thousands on a trip. Whats 50 dollars ,for the security and piece of mind. I know i am out voted here. But it seems by mostly Auzzies. Old school;.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,812 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much money does anyone carry a day Phuket?

Hi

Can't advise on the AUS banks, but as the Thai Banks chard 150thb per transaction and you can take out 10,000thb max, we tend to take out the max to get the best value and then use it again when needed. We don't hit it daily as that works out too expensive.

Have fun!

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
10,960 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much money does anyone carry a day Phuket?

I was taking out 20000bt each time I used an ATM, never used a machine where there was a 10000bt limit.

I've never heard of anyone wanting to use an ATM each day, that means you have to carry your cards out of the hotel & with you every day, instead of having them in your hotel safe ?

10. Re: How much money does anyone carry a day Phuket?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2014, 05:15